Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello all, New happy owner here

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello all, New happy owner here

Postby aaronhome27 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:54 pm

I would like to say hello and glad to be here. My story in short form is this.

I have always wanted a parrot for as long as I can remember. I recently have a contractor working in my house and he was talking about a Macaw that he owned that really didn't get much attention and he really was not sure that he wanted it any more. He said it had gotten loud and had started biting. Well I was thinkingthe same thing you all are right now. He was not getting the positive attention that he needed and that was the reason for the issues. I let the gentlemen know that if I had the money I would take him off of his hands. In just so many words I did tell him I would adopt him if he ever felt that he could not care for him any more. Well, today I got the call. He asked me if I still wanted him. He said that he could not take him anymore and was willing just to give him away to a good home. I gladly accepted and told him I would be right over to see if "Chuck" would accept me. I walked in and he told me to be very careful as he was the only one that could handle the bird. I asked him to put him out on his perch so I could talk to him out of his "home" environment. After a while of talking ablout everything in life in general I reached for Chuck. He did bite but not hard and I was ready for it. (I told my wife that if he bit and drew blood I would come home with out a bird). I just left my arm there and continued up for him to perch which he did readily. after several attempts with no more biting I btought him home!!! He is a little nippy and loud right now here at the house but I think he will adjust nicely. He "snakes" at my wife all of the time, but she is just not ready quite yet and is due with our 4th child in several weeks.

Sorry for the long version of my short story. I am just excited to have Chuck here and wanted to share my story. I look forward to learning much and sharing with all of you in the future.

Aaron
aaronhome27
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Hello all, New happy owner here

Postby aaronhome27 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm

LOL ..... I forgot to mention that Chuck is a 13 yr old blue and Gold Macaw that has been thru 5 families and the local humane shelter also.
aaronhome27
Parakeet

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi and welcome!
I think it's wonderful that you took Charlie in! I wish you the best of luck and I hope he settles in nicely!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby Lullabye » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Welcome! Sounds like Chuck will need a lot of time and patience. But I'm sure he will come around and be a wonderful addition to your family! Sad that he has been bounced around so much. He needs a stable, loving forever home. Kudos for accepting the challenge! :macaw:
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
We judge others by their actions, we judge ourselves by our intentions.
Lullabye
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Canary
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 am

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to give Chuck a chance! Good luck with everything!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby aaronhome27 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 am

I have to tell you, I think he just needed the right human. The first 2 days were a little rough but I persisted as much as he would let me. He now has a night perch right next to the bed. He has really bonded well with all of us and has a great disposition. It is amazing what a little attention will due.

Here is a link to a video I put on youtube. This was the first time my sister got to meet Chuck. This wa the third afternoon that we had him. After a little introduction he took well to her.

If that doesnt work here is another link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCXmkyrPTI8
aaronhome27
Parakeet

Postby MandyG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 am

Awesome video! I'm glad he's settling in!
:macaw: :thumbsup:
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Return to Introductions