Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flight Recall Still Unreliable

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Flight Recall Still Unreliable

Postby zazanomore » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 am

cockatielfan wrote:are cockatiels hard to train?

Tippy :greycockatiel:

Depends on the individual bird. My Cockatiel has learned some things easily, such as speaking, flight recall, target training, and step up/ step down. However, some things have taken me a lot longer and we are still working on such as basketball, putting on the harness and laying on his back.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby laducockatiel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Yeah, on the second day after buyin my tiel, he recalled and I was pretty surprised. He now is learning target training and is doin well
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby cornettocockatiel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:48 am

Try this video it worked for me!
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby HungryBird » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:32 am

What types of treats are you using? How hungry is she when you do the training? I'm not sure how you feed them but if she hasn't eaten recently that might have something to do with it. She may be irritable and may resent it a bit. They are very smart animals and she might have caught on! I would try giving her a little bit of food maybe 45 minutes before you do the training. Maybe a spoonful of some sort of mash? Not so much that she will be too full to fly.

My birds seem to especially like hemp seeds, Harrison's Adult Lifetime Fine pellets, and tiny pieces of millet. Not sure if your birds would think the Harrison's pellets are treats or not though. She may also get bored of the training. Maybe for a while you could keep it down to twenty or thirty tries a day and give her a treat after every successful one? I know when I am trying to train animals I keep it down to a five minute training session so they don't get bored. I think if you just do one or two five minute training sessions every day she might be more receptive. Malachite has learned that when I say "wings" he should lift his wings above his head but he only does it a few times and then gets bored and refuses to do it again.
HungryBird
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Parakeets, Meyer's

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks