Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Similarly a scary thing is when people adopt a rehomed because they are too cheap to pay retail as the predominant reason....
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

As the predominant reason?! When getting a previously owned bird price should be the last thing that's considered! This is how some birds end up living in multiple homes during their lives. You need to have an emoticon that shows a head being shook in disgust...
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby JAM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:04 pm

wow im horrified from these videos, human saliva is toxic to parrots!! :(
makes me really upset :(
The Green Cheekies Forum
For Green Cheek Conure Lovers And Owners

http://thegreencheekies.proboards.com/
JAM
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby NorskeDivision » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 am

Some of those videos are quite bad, knowing what I have learned reading this thread!

I just came across this forum today. Curiosity drove me to check how the structure of a bird's feather develops (really an amazing anatomical structure!). Considering that the feathers people clip can actually be a living, blood infused extension of their body, it is quite shocking that people would clip them so haphazardly. That thread "Will feathers grow back" almost brought tears to my eyes, horrible. :(

I've never owned a bird, it had never even occurred to me that one could have a parrot as a pet, with unclipped wings, and allow it fly outside and it return to you out if its own free will. An exciting possibility. As I'll soon be starting my post-grad education I can't own a pet, but it's something I will keep in mind. Either way, I'm at least I'm now not totally ignorant of avian care-taking, and I will tell my friend who owns a bird just how susceptible it is to pathogens (saliva, eek!).

How much does a parrot cage smell, if properly taken care of? Is it the sort of thing you barely notice, or is the smell to the level that people will label me "crazy parrot guy." :lol:
NorskeDivision
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:30 am

I don't think the cage, parrot, or poop give off much smell at all. The only thing with a mild smell that you only notice for the first week is the parrot's feed. Whether it's pellets, seeds, or other, it's the food that you will notice most. Also if ever the cage gets stinky, it's because too much old food has collected at the bottom and not poop or anything.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Senniegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 pm

This is a very interesting thread. I don't have time to watch the videos, but I can imagine what they hold by reading all of your responses! So hard to see animals treated as playthings rather than with respect and caution.

I have many animals that coexist in my home. I agree that allowing ineractions between pets has to be done on a case by case basis with the knowing consideration that they are ANIMALS and as such might always have a reaction or response that you might not expect.

I have several combinations of my pets out at any given moment. But I know who likes who and who is bothered and I would never force a interaction on any of my pets. I watch them every second that I have them out and NEVER leave the room even for a moment. I watch carefully to make sure there is enjoyment on all sides and if not..back to the cage they go.

Just in case you are curious, here is a list of my pets.

1 Grey tab - Gizmo
1 Bk and white tab - Perlz
2 Fancy rats - Nibbles and Puff
1 Dwarf Hamster - Teddy (elderly)
1 30 gallon fish tank with assorted fish
2 Senegal Parrots - Patience and Kermit

All my pets are well cared for, have reg. trips to our local vet and are ALL strickly indoor animals. ;)
Senniegal
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrots
Flight: No

Postby miajag » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:02 am

Here's a "good" one I came across tonight... :roll: :shock:

miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby MandyG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 am

They seriously titled that video 'Quarker Parrot Gone Stupid'?! Really? How about owner gone stupid... :roll:

The dog is clearly happy and playing, but when dogs are playing that way they bite at the air near eachother. Which is perfectly acceptable play when it involves two dogs. In the beginning of the video you can hear when the dog clacked its teeth together. With the bird that close to it's mouth it could have easily (and accidently) gotten in the way. All in good fun or not this situation spells disaster.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby windharper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 pm

"The Quaker Parrot gone stupid" scene prompts me to post this. The other day I arrived at a friends house. She has two Shih Tzus. I was surprised when a black Lab came to the door along with the small ones. Although the Lab was taller than my waist while on all fours, you could tell he was still very young. After greeting me, the Lab bowed down in front of the Shih Tzu wanting to play. The small dog was annoyed and barked. The lab jumped back and then down on his front paws right on top of the back of the Shih Tzu. The Shih Tzu yelled in pain and instantly snarled at the lab.

All I could think of was, good thing the Shih Tzu wasn't a bird or he'd be dead! Here we have a dog that was young an playful who outsized an animal that didn't want to play with him. I'm sure the Lab didn't mean to harm the Shih Tzu and yet it happened anyway.
windharper
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Postby alight15 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:27 am

pchela wrote:Oh my. The one with the babies being licked clean makes me cringe. .

same here...still kinda shook up from it after settling into my chair this late...it needs a warning on it.. :o

also a question.. :budgie:
how do you guys feel about people potty-training parrots?

I'm kinda against it...I thought it was cool at first; leaving a small area outside of the cage for them to go to to poop but as I thought more about it; the less likely it seemed to be a good idea.

I ment the ones making "Poop" a command...like in the video, I'm not even talking about the people who are placing their parrots on the toilet
the latter is kinda gross...to me, I mean...letting it walk on me after standing in/on the general area where stuff you dont want on you goes(past and sprinkles on,like a horrible rain you witness right after you wake up... :? ).I might have a bit of a problem with that type of training
Last edited by alight15 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars