Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lost bird.

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Lost bird.

Postby meowingaround » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 pm

On Friday Sept. 29th, I opened the door to check the mailbox. In just a few seconds Willow rounded the corner to the entry , flew over my shoulder and was gone.

I'm not sure where I stand on clipping at all anymore, the wind was strong that day , and being a bird who never had flown in strong wind. He was just carried away screaming. I don't think I'll ever get the image of him circling as he went higher and higher looking back at me out of my head.

And I don't know if he was trying to get back, not for sure but that's how it felt. It was his upset scream I heard fade away into the clouds.

It'll be three weeks this Friday he's been gone.

Windy still calls for him when we go upstairs.

:(
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Lost bird.

Postby Jenny » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:10 pm

:cry: I'm so sorry about Willow. I read about this kind of thing so often, & it's always so heart-breaking.

I have no idea where Aaron came from (he found a friend of mine in a park), but considering he knew how to step-up & has never exhibited any behavior problems, I figure he got loose from someone somehow. I was never able to find anyone that claimed him. As bad as I feel for his previous owner, he's certainly loved & cared for to the best of my ability now. If Willow doesn't find his way back to you, I pray he finds his way into another loving home.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby meowingaround » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Jenny wrote::cry: I'm so sorry about Willow. I read about this kind of thing so often, & it's always so heart-breaking.

I have no idea where Aaron came from (he found a friend of mine in a park), but considering he knew how to step-up & has never exhibited any behavior problems, I figure he got loose from someone somehow. I was never able to find anyone that claimed him. As bad as I feel for his previous owner, he's certainly loved & cared for to the best of my ability now. If Willow doesn't find his way back to you, I pray he finds his way into another loving home.

I pray for that too thank you. And it gives me some small measure of happiness to know there's stories like that out there, that they do find new homes with good owners. Aaron is a lucky bird for having you :)

and I suppose if he'd ever gone near the door before I would have trained him not to, but it was just one of those oh hey let's do something new moments and it ended so sadly.

Windy is still free flighted, but he was always "My bird" , Willow came into our home from a previous owner and like I said I don't know if he was trying to get back or just showing off. We were still bonding, which was harder because he was strongly bonded to Windy and distrusted people when I got him. He was just starting to put his head down for me.

It's the not knowing that's the hardest. I make a promise to every creature that enters my home. That they will be safe for their lives, that I will do everything in my power to make their lives as happy and fulfilling as possible.
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Postby Jenny » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 pm

meowingaround wrote:It's the not knowing that's the hardest.

yeah, I agree. Again, my heart goes out to you.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Bobioden » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 pm

I feel your pain. I had a 8 month old Scarlet Chested Parakeet who was fully flighted. He could do 3-4 laps around the condo before landing. I counted one time and it was a good 20 seconds before he landed. One day he was out and about. I was doing laundry and went downstairs. My other half didn't realize he was out and about so opened the patio door to water the plants and that was it. Oliver was gone. I live in a very populated area of Denver, and with his flying stills, he could be at least a block away either direction before he landed. Signs were posted, craigslist ads, visits to local Animal Shelters, every online site had him listed and he never turned up. I will never forget my little guy.
Last edited by Bobioden on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobioden
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby meowingaround » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 pm

aww poor Oliver :(

Yeah I live in a very unpopulated area, well not total sticks but pretty much the middle of nowhere. And I've put his info on every site available, called everywhere, have flyers up,cage outside where he can see it if he does fly by. I've heard stories about birds being returned months later, and my guess is that the people who found them realized they aren't all that quiet and take alotta time and care.

I'll never forget him though, I still have a lil hope but not much anymore and I sorta have to move on at this point for Windy who feels my pain.

I've put a sheet over the entryway entrance now though, so I can make sure that one area is closed off before I do any door opening.. I'd be more distraught (not that I haven't been or didn't cry for a week straight) if it was my Windy. The one I picked and raised and am firmly bonded too. I feel bad for saying that though.
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Wait, so you lost Willow nearly a year ago?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Marnie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 pm

i feel your pain. even though it was almost a year ago, you never forget them.
i lost my Bette today and the house is soooo quiet. i can't believe she is gone, wondering where she is, is she close by? or is she a mile away?
she wasn't that great at flying and a couple laps around the kitchen would wear her out, so i am sure she is not far from here.
i have hope that some how some way she will come back to me.
the ad will run in the paper for 7 days, she is bright yellow, i am so hoping someone sees her and brings her home.
i am hoping for a answer to my prayer.........
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Postby meowingaround » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Michael wrote:Wait, so you lost Willow nearly a year ago?

No, July 29 , three weeks ago today :(

I'm sure some of my posts were rather confusing. Sorry about that.
Last edited by meowingaround on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Postby meowingaround » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Marnie wrote:i feel your pain. even though it was almost a year ago, you never forget them.
i lost my Bette today and the house is soooo quiet. i can't believe she is gone, wondering where she is, is she close by? or is she a mile away?
she wasn't that great at flying and a couple laps around the kitchen would wear her out, so i am sure she is not far from here.
i have hope that some how some way she will come back to me.
the ad will run in the paper for 7 days, she is bright yellow, i am so hoping someone sees her and brings her home.
i am hoping for a answer to my prayer.........

Put an ad in your local craigs list.
also petfinder
http://www.911parrotalert.com/report-lost-bird/ and there
I hope you find your Bette.
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Next

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks