Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does it cost a lot of money to find out the sex?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Does it cost a lot of money to find out the sex?

Postby Danii » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 am

I am getting a Parrot from my mum and as he has never visited a vets we don't know if Percy is a boy or girl.
Anyone know if there is any characteristics to guess if he is male or female?

Sorry about no pics.

He is a Orange winged Amazon.
Danii
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Does it cost a lot of money to find out the sex?

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:57 am

You can take a blood sample yourself to send to a lab to save money but I don't recommend a beginner doing that. A vet can probably sex the parrot for $50-$100 depending on their rates/location. If the bird has ever laid eggs, it is definitely a female. Otherwise you can't be sure. It's not all that important to know because males and females tend to look and act alike.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Danii » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:09 am

Michael wrote:You can take a blood sample yourself to send to a lab to save money but I don't recommend a beginner doing that. A vet can probably sex the parrot for $50-$100 depending on their rates/location. If the bird has ever laid eggs, it is definitely a female. Otherwise you can't be sure. It's not all that important to know because males and females tend to look and act alike.

Thank you very much, Michael. The idea of me doing that myself is a frightening one lol so I will leave it up to the experts. This might be a silly question...but if Percy has never been with another Parrot, would he/she still lay eggs?

Wow, I have so much to learn! :?
Danii
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon

Postby Natacha » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:57 am

There doesn't need to be another bird around for a female to lay eggs.
In the same regard, not all hens, whether there be a male bird around or not, will lay eggs either.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby fauxbird » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 am

not to scare anyone but i think it important to know if you have a boy or girl and a lot of people dont think about this but girls can become egg bound and die,so its good to know just in case theres ever any health problems down the road and egg binding could then be checked into and ruled out so its for health reasons,i know people who have older females that have never laid eggs and i also know some that the birds have to get luprin shots every year because they over lay and that can deplete calcium and can cause egg binding.
fauxbird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lime princess of wales and a rock pebbler

Postby Shelby » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Natacha wrote:There doesn't need to be another bird around for a female to lay eggs.

Yes! My mom had a budgie as a kid, it was the only bird they had, and one day it just started laying eggs. At the time, they really knew nothing about birds other than things that seemed common sense to them. (They had a farm and my Grandma bred Pomeranians) Things like food and water daily, a cage cleaning at least weekly, and regular baths. There weren't many vets around here either, and none of them really knew anything about birds. So, unfortunately, the poor thing "egged herself to death" as my mom describes it. She just kept laying more eggs every day and one morning they woke up and she was lying on the bottom of her cage on her back. :(
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species