Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My bird doesn't know he can fly.

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

My bird doesn't know he can fly.

Postby GoddessHanz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 pm

I own a Yellow Naped Amazon named Oliver. He's four years old, and I realize I need to start teaching him interesting tricks (he knows step-up, and is fairly well mannered). I was looking through the site, and I saw flight recall. The teaching methods make perfect sense, but I wasn't sure if they'll work on a bird who has no idea that he has the ability to fly. I had his wings clipped once, and he started plucking afterwards so we've been sort of battling with that. He's almost completely stopped plucking and most of his feather have grown back, but because he didn't have flight feathers for so long, he never really learned to fly. Sometimes when he's startled his jump from his perch and flap wildly, but he just drops the the floor essentially. I'm not sure how to begin training him.
Thank you a ton! :amazon:
GoddessHanz
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Naped Amazon, Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: My bird doesn't know he can fly.

Postby dohcsvt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 pm

His wing muscles are going to be very weak and undeveloped. I think you have quite the endeavor ahead of you!
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.

Postby GoddessHanz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:06 am

Thank you. You don't have any suggestions on how to help develop those muscles, do you?
:amazon:
GoddessHanz
Parakeet

Postby liz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:56 am

Make a game of it. While he is on your finger lift him up and down to make him flap. Praise him when he flaps. Do this near a perch to see if he will flap to the perch.
Myrtles wings were trimed when I got her. She now has flight feathers and can fly around the room in one lap but then get tired.
Rambo does not have flight feathers and only does controled crashes.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby GoddessHanz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Okay, I'll try that. But he hasn't really had the feathers to fly for about three years. You don't think its too late to try to rebuild those muscles? I read somewhere on the internet (not sure if its true... there can be a lot of garbage on there) that if they don't build those muscles young. They don't fully develop, and may not ever fly. I really fear if that's true. I feel like I've failed at being a good owner.
GoddessHanz
Parakeet

Postby Kathleen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 am

The first thing you need to do is go through the training process. Minimize food a little bit, especially the bird's favorites, and then begin teaching target training.

http://TrainedParrot.com/Taming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSwWNGJ_0Jk

Then you teach flight by making it into a target game from two side by side perches which you gradually separate so that the bird has to step from each perch, then reach very far with its beak to step, then hop, etc. As in the video it should start using its wings.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby liz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:15 am

GoddessHanz wrote:Okay, I'll try that. But he hasn't really had the feathers to fly for about three years. You don't think its too late to try to rebuild those muscles? I read somewhere on the internet (not sure if its true... there can be a lot of garbage on there) that if they don't build those muscles young. They don't fully develop, and may not ever fly. I really fear if that's true. I feel like I've failed at being a good owner.

My mother is 85 and has been bed ridden for the last 2 years. Hospice took care of her for 2 years because she was dying. Mom woke up one morning and said she changed her mind that she was not going to die and wanted her walker. It took a lot of determination on her part but she can now (with help) walk from the bedroom to diningroom with her walker.

In basic training, I was hospitalized for 3 days and confined to bed. When I was let out my legs would not hold me. It took a couple hours of trying before I could walk.

It won't be easy or fast but your bird can build the muscles and be able to fly.

Poor :amazon: Rambo has the muscles and tries to fly. He just doesn't have flight feathers.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks