Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Talking Dilemma

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Talking Dilemma

Postby Khaiqha » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 am

So my ringneck Ace is an unnaturally quiet bird. He chirps a little in the morning and at night, but that's all. I tried getting hm to talk but since he's so quiet, it's probably a no go. A couple of times I played a video of a bird talking, and Ace lit up, chirping and screaming.

Now I'm at a crossroads. I find all bird noises adorable, but my roommates don't. Do you guys think that continuing video sessions will make Ace louder overall?
Khaiqha
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine
Flight: Yes

Re: Talking Dilemma

Postby Naurthon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm

I would say it would definitely encourage more birdy vocalizations.

I've tried to be careful to keep from whistling when my grey Dante is around so he'll be encouraged to talk to me rather than try to communicate through whistles. I've also tried to keep him from hearing electronic noises. (Unfortunately, both the microwave and the smoke alarm make the same three beep tone, and Dante's picked that up.)

A while back I let the boys watch a documentary on birds of paradise while I was doing some chores around the house. By the end of the show, Dante was imitating their calls.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey
Flight: No

Postby liz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 am

:amazon2: Myrtle is like a 2 year old child. Instead of putting cartoons on TV, I put Amazon Parrots Singing on YouTube. She is picking up part of the songs and gives her enrichment.
It is funny - she will watch the Amazons and pay close attention to the BFs like her but she still gets scared when a CAG come on. I have to be careful to filter the CAGs out.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Talking and noise partly depends on the bird, but definitely partly on the owner/person that interacts most with it. Let me explain:

Birds are flock animals, which means that they try their best to communicate with what they perceive as a "flock". For pet birds, this means you. They are constantly watching you for clues, and will pick up clues or hints that -you- do to help them interact.

If you're the type that doesn't talk much when interacting with the bird, then the bird will learn that making vocalizations doesn't work/doesn't facilitate interaction with his "flock", being you. But if you're the type that obsessively talks to the bird when hanging out with it, then the bird will pick up words and phrases in an attempt to better interact with you. If you whistle to him, then he will most likely pick up whistling over talking, etc.

Both my birds talk, and make a decent amount of noise. Obviously this is because they ARE CONURES. However, I look like a complete idiot when hanging out with them, because I am non-stop talking/blabbing to them. My Sun Conure at 3 months of age is talking. Probably because she watches my GCC do so to me. We also contact call with words when I'm around the house and out of sight.

I don't consider my birds that noisy, mainly because they've learned that screaming doesn't get them attention over talking.

Alexandrines I believe are supposed to be loud, as well, naturally. And also good talkers. Maybe you can try to start talking to it instead of teaching it amazon rain forest sounds. That way, it might be a good compromise between the annoyed roommates and the non-vocalizing bird.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Azrocks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 pm

:amazon: I have a 7 yr yellow napped amazon.I have heard him speak in over 18 voices and even some Spanish . My problem is that he docent speak when in the room.is there any way to change this habit.
Azrocks
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow napped amazon
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations