Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Caiques and White-fronted Amazons

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Caiques and White-fronted Amazons

Postby cml » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm

We have started looking, and just looking so far, for a little buddy for Stitch. My wife who has been working only part-time and been home with Stitch during the days is going back to fulltime after Christmas, and therefor we are looking for a friend for Stitch.

White-fronted amazons are quite hard to come by and I have talked to the 3 breeders I know of here (dont spit on breeders in this thread thanks, I know they can be bad but they have been really helpful towards me), and none had any for sale. There are no white-fronted amazons up for adoption here, it was the first thing I considered.

What the one breeder I talked the most with did say however is that they reccommended a caique as a buddy for a white-fronted amazon, as they are both active birds and of the same size. The breeder had a few caiques of his own, but didnt breed them or sell them, but his experience was that they worked very well together (as in living in the same cage/aviary). This is important to me as I dont think 2 separate cages other than quarantine and them getting used to each other is a good idea, the whole purpose is that they are to keep each other company during the day.
(its worth noting that we can provide quite a big cage/indoor-aviary, W 7ft x D 4ft x H 7ft)

He reccommended me to keep a look out on our version of craigslist for a young caique (around a year max) so that they were both kids, and told me if they grow up together, there shouldnt be any problems at all with them getting along. (No money in it for him, just him wanting to be helpful :) )

What are your experiences with these birds, if you have any, or what are your thoughts? Do you think it can work as well as he thought? I know some people here have a caique, and some work at rescue centers etc. I would really value your input!

Cheers,
CML
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Caiques and White-fronted Amazons

Postby cml » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 am

Noone? I would really value and appreciate your input =)!
cml
African Grey

Postby liz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:23 pm

All I know personally is Amazon, Cockatiel and Love Birds.

He was giving you free advice and that is unusual.

I was looking for a bird the same size as Rambo when I found Myrtle. They are both Amazons just different species.

If you can visit rescues that would help.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby cml » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:00 pm

liz wrote:All I know personally is Amazon, Cockatiel and Love Birds.

He was giving you free advice and that is unusual.

I was looking for a bird the same size as Rambo when I found Myrtle. They are both Amazons just different species.

If you can visit rescues that would help.

There are no rescues here Im afraid, and no white-fronted amazons are up for adoption on the web either. Another species of amazon wasnt reccommended from the breeder as the size difference is great (the other species weigh in at about double the weight of a white-fronted amazon).

Thanks for replying though!
cml
African Grey

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Err.. why Caiques? If anything, I'd suggest another Amazon or a Pionus.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby cml » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:35 pm

GlassOnion wrote:Err.. why Caiques? If anything, I'd suggest another Amazon or a Pionus.

Because of the size difference.

Another amazon is about twice the size of a white-fronted (have you seen how small they are ;)?). The same goes for the blue-headed pionus. The white-capped pionus is about the same size, but the pionus breeder I called earlier this fall thought their tempraments are a bit too different, but of course it will be down to the individual birds. A caique on the other hand is just the correct size-match.

Really, I have looked into a lot of options, and I got this bit of advice about caiques and I figured I could ask here, there is a lot of experience accumulated in this forum. I was asking because I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with pairing the two species, as I want to make sure to do everything I possibly can to make their introduction smooth, for both birds' sakes.

As for the why in general, because I dont believe in leaving a bird home by itself (I think its mean leaving a pet alone, be it a parrot, a dog or a cat), we want to get a buddy for our guy for when my wife gets back on fulltime. We are trying to find the best possible candidate (apart from the same species) as white-fronted are very hard to come by, I have tried for a while and made a lot of phonecalls, which have turned up nothing in the near future (read: until at least next summer).
cml
African Grey

Postby liz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:50 pm

I have at least 2 of each critter. I don't like them alone even if there are inter species friendships in this house.

What is the weight of a white face? There is about 50 grams difference in my 2.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby cml » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:34 am

liz wrote:I have at least 2 of each critter. I don't like them alone even if there are inter species friendships in this house.

What is the weight of a white face? There is about 50 grams difference in my 2.

Around 185 gram, they are tiny for being amazons!
cml
African Grey

Postby liz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:54 am

That is tiny. I have never seen one. Can you post a picture of you with it so I can see the size?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby cml » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Here is one with me and Stitch gaming, I think it shows his size quite well. I dont have that many with him and me, most are of only him, making it hard to relate to his small size ^^.
cml
African Grey

Next

Return to Parrot Species