Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

6 yr Half Moon Conure

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

6 yr Half Moon Conure

Postby Fivestones » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Hey there,

I recently got a 6 yr old Half Moon Conure. She has definitely had some training. However, there are a few things I'm not very familiar with.

She knows step up very well, and will sit on my hand or shoulder/neck all day long. But sometimes while on my hand, she will randomly reach down and " pinch " me finger. Not a bite, not a nibble/taste, she will put her beak around my finger or skin and pinch me. The same way she will if she's in her cage and wants to sleep or rest. Sometimes she will do it while I am talking to her, or right after she gets done saying something. Peak-a-boo for instance. Is this just her being excited? or is it a problem? does it need to be repremended?

sometimes when I put her up on my shoulder, she will nip at me the same way as when in her cage, like she doesn't want to get down.

Something I would like to work on with her, but I'm not sure how, is petting her. She will let me pet her lower back area, but she looks very uncomfy while I am doing it. Sometimes turning her head and opening her beak. If I go up towers her head she will nip my finger. If I try her tummy she practically lays an egg. I would just like to get her more used to it.

She also does not like women at all? I know she was raised by a younger guy, but nothing more then that. She wont even talk to women.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance!
Fivestones
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: No

Re: 6 yr Half Moon Conure

Postby Suzzique » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:45 am

The nipping might be a form of playing and she just doesn't realize how hard she is bitting. Sometimes when stepping up or down mine will grab on as a balance kind of thing again if it seems a bit hard to you maybe she doesn't realize that it is to hard. The not liking women could be from a bad experence or even no experence with women or even just wasn't well socialized when younger. Birds are smart cookies and are never to old to learn new things.

I would look at Michaels posts on what he and Kathleen do to get Kili to be nicer to Kathleen.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Fivestones » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 am

I'll do that, Thanks =) - Her biting too hard isn't typically when stepping up. She's already on my finger when she does it. However I'm noticing something new with her tonight.

I have been letting her on my shoulder more while I work ( on the computer ) . And she seems more lovey. But a little bit ago she got down onto my chest and started pulling at my goatee hair, and when I went to get her to step up so I could put her elsewhere, she lunged at me and screeched, like she was protecting her territory or something hah.

Also she has been biting her own tongue ? Is that any kind of gesture? Or is something wrong? She just kind of sticks it out the side and bites down over and over. It looks rediculous.
Fivestones
Parakeet

Postby Suzzique » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am

First let me say with a 6 year old bird it is breeding season. Our birds do wierd stuff. Everything from major agression issues to becoming an overly cuddly velco birdie. This will last until near the end of next month aproximently.

Sense it sounds like you have not had her that long it is hard to say what is normal and what is hormonal right now. If you find that she gets more agressive while or after doing certain things with you then don't let her do them. Distract her with a toy or treat. If she is getting to nippy put her back on her cage or playstand so she can clam down.

As long as she is not hurting herself (making herself bleed) I wouldn't worry to much about the toung biting. If you are really worried call the vet and ask. It is posible it is just an odd habbit that she has. Again the nipping while on your hand could be play.

My grey Alex knows I'm a sucker for the bubbles sound that he makes. He knows that I will say awww I love the bubbles and reach to pet him. He will then bit me. It's not supper hard and I'm not quite sure how or why he started doing that. I think that it is really mostly a game but if he gets to carried away and bits to hard I let him know it and he stops. Most of the time if he doesn't he is sent back to his cage or playstand.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:05 am

Also she has been biting her own tongue ? Is that any kind of gesture? Or is something wrong? She just kind of sticks it out the side and bites down over and over. It looks rediculous.

Noodle does something like that, it looks like she's chewing on the tip of her tongue but she's really just pressing her tongue against the
inside of her beak. I don't know why she does that but she only does that when she's puffed up, sitting on one leg and seems content.

As far as petting your bird...it is mating season and petting your birds back is birdie talk for lets have some bird sex. Also, avoid petting under the wings, another "lets get it on" spot. Once in a blue moon is alright but don't do it every day.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby Fivestones » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 pm

MissLady9902 wrote:
As far as petting your bird...it is mating season and petting your birds back is birdie talk for lets have some bird sex. Also, avoid petting under the wings, another "lets get it on" spot. Once in a blue moon is alright but don't do it every day.

Well! Bow chicka wow wow..

I never took into consideration that they even had a breeding season. It just spaced my mind. Thanks a ton for all the input you guys have given me so far. She's definitely doing better with the nipping today. I do believe that the little bites she's giving while on my finger are just playful bites. She nips every now and then while playing with my ring or one of my earring hoops (yes, I am a male with earrings). But I have read this is just them letting me know they are not done playing with their toy?

The biting her tongue is still a little strange to me. I just wish I knew if it meant something or not. Other then all of that, shes very sweet to me. Hopefully she will get socialized with my wife and daughters enough that she will at least talk to them. She will sit on the tops of their arms without nipping, but she is constantly trying to find a way back to me.
Fivestones
Parakeet

Postby Suzzique » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Have your wife and daughters be her only sorce of treats. They can all take turns but you don't ever give the treats just them. It will help your bird see them as the source of good things. :D

Also try doing some training with her. Michael has some good posts on how to get started.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Return to Taming & Basic Training