Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is it better for parrot to fly inside?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Is it better for the parrot to not be clipped and fly?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes : 40

Is it better for parrot to fly inside?

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

I would like everyone's opinion on this. I understand that there are many many reasons why people clip their birds but this question is theoretical. Regardless of your situation, preference, or capability, ideally do you think it is better for the parrot to not be clipped and be allowed to fly indoors?

Please vote and then share your reasons here. If you think you have compelling reasons to act otherwise than your vote, please explain why.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Is it better for parrot to fly inside?

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Ideally I believe a parrot should be able to fly. It's the best form of exercise for them, a healthy bird is a happy bird, and it's what they are meant to do.

I fully understand why many people do keep their birds clipped, but theoretically speaking and simply considering physical and psychological needs I think all birds should be flighted.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Natacha » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:16 pm

I think keeping a flighted parrot is better.

I have seen the difference allowing Joey to have his flights grow in (he was clipped when I got him, although the breeder his first owner got him from allowed her birds to fledge before doing a light clip, the owner continued to clip). He came to me a tad nervous and not too sure of himself, allowing him to fly gave him new confidence in himself.

I also love the exercise they get out of it.

However, I do understand that some people have an environment in which it might be best to clip a bird and that is their decision.

I'd rather keep a flighted bird and will always try to have an environment in which I can allow them to keep their flight feathers.

The only reason I clip Petey (and it's a light clip which still allows her to glide downwards) is because of her attitude with the others and to a lesser extent, with me. Although lately her flights have been slowly coming in and she's behaving with the others and myself so she might just get to keep them this time around.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby windharper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:55 pm

I have very mixed feelings about this. My birds came to me clipped and I have let them both grow in their feathers now. Tamber :senegal: had a light clip that allowed him to glide down easily; Teyla's was more drastic.

My house, however, is ~not~ bird friendly and it was easier keeping them out of harm's way when their wings were clipped. As is, I will not let them out of their cages unsupervized. Tamber, when spooked, will come back to me when I tap my shoulder and say, "Come." Teyla hasn't gotten that far.

Clipped or not, Teyla would get her main exercise from grabbing a perch, rolling upside down and flapping her wings as if her life depended on it. Tamber eventually started doing it to. No problems here. :D

Bottom line, unless things change drastically in my home, I will get them lightly clipped again.

Best wishes,
Deb, a.k.a. windharper
windharper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Postby alight15 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm used to flighted birds..
And I wouldnt think any bird deserves or needs to be clipped...

But because we're used to letting them out in my house the last one was clipped when my sister got him..and it runs on the ground a lot.

I recently got a parakeet and I wanted it to be flighted(for Indoors only),but had it clipped(distressing the employee)a certain way on both wings to let it fly up and around but not be able to "sustain flight".
This was because I plan on training this one first, before letting it be able to really fly around the house.

However I voted "to be clipped" because for those who are newer, not used to, and are themselves unable to take care of a flighted bird properly.

The clipped/unclipped thing is better one way or the other for the bird based on the owner :hatched:

_________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. For any new bird owners or potential owners Parakeets are fun,intelligent,need attention,and are not to be thought of lightly. However that doesnt make them any less of a great first bird,I had my first two at 12 and I played with them for years letting them fly around the house,on to me and chasing after them in the house(in a mutual playing way)for hours.If you cant spend even 1 hour with them or cant think of them as such, then you're not ready for any pet.No matter how easy they are to take care of compared to other pets(I even had a lab mouse), they're still pets.
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars

Postby Pola » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 am

i think that it is better for the parrot to not be clipped because it is really healthy for them and parrots have wing for a reason

But I can see why people clip them

So i have mixed feeling about it
Pola :D
Pola
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple/cinnamon green cheeked conure- Tuppi

Postby bmsweb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:52 pm

With our first Budgie we clipped both wings and this gave him time to adjust to our home and learn where mirrors and windows are. Once his flight feathers grew back he would shoot around the house a million miles per hour! The up side is we never had any accidents in flight while in the house.

We actually clipped his wings because this is what the pet store recommended.

We've done the same with our Cockatiel. Can't wait for his flight feathers to grow back. Now the surprising thing with our Cockatiel is he can still fly and maintain height. Considering his flight feathers haven't grown back yet, I'm guessing they are pretty strong birds.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Suzzique » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 pm

To meny people think that just because thier bird is clipped it can't fly. This is so far from the truth. The fact is that even a severly clipped bird can fly. They might not be able to get very good lift but they can fly. We had Martini flying pretty well before any of his clipped feathers molted out. It was just a matter of building up is wing mustles and giving him the confidence. He didn't have a sever clip. He did have a couple of flights on each side I think to help with balance. Now that he has all new flights in he has started hovering making tight turns everything. He still isn't quit as good as Alex but Alex has been flying sense he fledged.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:02 pm

It really depends on the species as well. Some parrots are bulky and bad fliers with even full wings while others are sleek and well flighted. A clipped cockatiel or budgie can still fly pretty well. My Senegal parrot was over clipped and she'd fall practically straight down. The flapping only helped reduce the impact but nothing more.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 pm

I've seen a video where these people took their flighted Galah cockatoos out to the desert and flew them there. It kind of makes sense when you think about it. There's nothing for miles so the birds want to get back to their humans. It works well for those who live in the desert.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight