Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How To Overcome One Person Parrot Aggression

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How To Overcome One Person Parrot Aggression

Postby Paige08 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 am

I have a hand raised conure that I bought a few months ago, I think hes almost a year old now.
When i first got him he was fine with everyone, anyone could pick him up and he would lay in your hand on his back and fall asleep and he was always sitting on my shoulder or next to me.
A few weeks ago his beak started getting very sharp and he started biting harder and i went on a holiday for a week and when i got back he absolutely hated me he wont let me come near him whenever i go in a room he is in he will fluff his feathers up and run at me, and when he bites me he doesn't let go but he is still fine with everyone else.
What am i supposed to do?! I cant evan be in the same room as him!
Paige08
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheeked cinnamon conure
Flight: No

Postby PukkaParrot » Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 am

Excellent post!
Make you think :)
PukkaParrot
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 am

Paige08 wrote:I have a hand raised conure that I bought a few months ago, I think hes almost a year old now.
When i first got him he was fine with everyone, anyone could pick him up and he would lay in your hand on his back and fall asleep and he was always sitting on my shoulder or next to me.
A few weeks ago his beak started getting very sharp and he started biting harder and i went on a holiday for a week and when i got back he absolutely hated me he wont let me come near him whenever i go in a room he is in he will fluff his feathers up and run at me, and when he bites me he doesn't let go but he is still fine with everyone else.

Basically what you are now experiencing is how parrots really are. It was just masked before by the baby handfed stage. If you do everything right, that tameness can be maintained (and aggression worked through) to keep the bird a handlable pet. Now you have to start over again with taming and training. You need to use positive reinforcement to retrain the things you once took for granted so that the bird has a motivation to do those things. Here's an article I wrote about the basics of taming and training.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:20 am

I don't train my kids.

I use the talking method. Sit near by and talk softly even if you are just reading a book aloud. The bird will soon try to talk back even if not in words. This opens communication and connection.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

Paige08 wrote:I have a hand raised conure that I bought a few months ago, I think hes almost a year old now.

Wear protective clothing so he can't hurt you.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby cmwild31 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:49 pm

I have a cinnamon bellied conure aged approx 16 months old. I am unsure of the sex as he/she came with no papers or birth band, we call him a he. Anyway basically he has been very lovable toward myself and my partner until a couple of months ago. He is fine with me and spends a lot of time with my partner stephen but at least on one occasion a day he attacks stephen and takes a chunk of skin, sometimes very deep. Diego has been getting a lot of time out in the cage and being told naughty each time, and by the look he gives, he knows he has done wrong. Racheal, my vet, thinks he is jealous and i know they can favour 1 person over the other but as he can spend 6-7hrs a day being lovable with stephen and then all of a sudden turning on him, whether i am there or not, i can't comprehend the jealousy theory. I also don't know what to do about it. I hate birds being in a cage and usually diego is always out when we are home, but this is becoming less possible due to his behavior. the fact that diego has been fine for over a year puzzles me. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have.
cmwild31
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: cinnamon bellied conure

Postby GlassOnion » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Puberty. Did you know that birds go through a bratty teenage phase just like humans? You can't neuter or spay a bird as you would a dog, so you've got to deal with angry birdie hormones until he calms down overtime.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby liz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:23 pm

LOL. It isn't any fun but it is possible to deal with it. Punishment won't change puberty but it will change your relationship.

My kids were 18 months apart so they both hit puberty at the same time. I had to choose my battles and just dodge what might become a battle.

If he attacks your boyfriend then your boyfriend will have to not get into a situation where it can happen. He will grow out of it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby cmwild31 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:55 pm

haha am sure steve will not be pleased to hear the growing out of it part, hopefully it wont take too long, as i said he is only 16 months, they live what? 35? lol thanks for the responses guys :gcc:
cmwild31
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: cinnamon bellied conure

Postby malcolms mummy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm

My senegal (malcolm)used to be sociable with almost anyone but recently he has taken a real dislike to hubby, he lunges at him and bites so obviously hubby is totally unrelaxed when malcolm is out of his cage. I am the one who feeds and looks after him and he never bites or lunges at me. Its becoming a bit of a pain and the bird is spoiling himself as hubby wont let him out of the cage while I'm at work. I've suggested that hubby gets more involved with feeding etc. Anyone else having problems like this with their senegal.
thanks Eve
forgot tosay macolm is 4 years old
malcolms mummy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training