Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Help

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:31 am

Ok
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Help: MICE!

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:39 am

hi cage cleaner, there are plugins that give off a signal to drive them away,and there are traps that look like a clip i take a pellet that has been thrown on the floor and put it in gets them every time.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:19 am

That's a fact of life when owning messy parrots. Sometimes I wish I could have a small pet owl to roam the apartment at night and catch the mice without posing a threat to my parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Sparky » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:25 pm

haha I'm sure you could add an owl to your flock Michael :thumbsup: It'd be so handy! It must be the only thing my MIL hasn't tried yet. Rats have gotten in and caused havoc at her house.

There are hollow box mouse/rat traps that you can put the bait in and birds and other pets can't get to them. They're spendy but worth it? And cheaper than an owl :lol:
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Sparky wrote:haha I'm sure you could add an owl to your flock Michael :thumbsup: It'd be so handy! It must be the only thing my MIL hasn't tried yet. Rats have gotten in and caused havoc at her house.

There are hollow box mouse/rat traps that you can put the bait in and birds and other pets can't get to them. They're spendy but worth it? And cheaper than an owl :lol:

None of that enclosed junk ever works. I've had a bunch of self-enclosed traps with same bait for years and never caught a single rodent in them. The more dangerous/open the trap, the more effective it seems to be. When these little bastards get used to feeding off of pellet crumbs and seeds sprinkled randomly around carpet (flapping) in the open, they don't bother going into any enclosed space to look for food.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Mice can chew through plastic containers.
There is a product called "Just One Bite". It even comes in a weather proof form that can be put outside. All it takes is one feeding and the mouse go back out to search for water. They dehydrate. It kills them because they have a valve in the top of their stomachs and can't vomit. It can make other animals sick but not kill them if they are stupid enough to eat it.
My father used a feed barrel with some sweet feed in the bottom in his barn. The mice would climb stuff to get in but could not get out.
Other than that you could set traps with peanut butter or stinky cheese.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:35 pm

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby liz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 pm

I am afraid of the ultrasound things. We don't really know what parrots hear but I know they have better hearing than humans. I would be afraid that the birds would get aggitated.

I can't imagine what your bird room is like with mice and bugs. My daughter has 2 little black hunters but of course they kill anything. I taught my cats to leave birds alone so they just bring me dead moles and mice from outside.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:06 pm

i was afraid to use the ultrasonic near my birds too i put them in my sons room when he was a baby,i saw evidence in his crib and almost had a heart attack, they kept them out of his room. i use the traps in the kitchen and bird areas i put pellots that are thrown out of the cage. someday i would like to get a mouser my cousin's neighbor breeds them.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm

No
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Next

Return to General Parrot Care