Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Help: MICE!

Postby Julianajara » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:28 pm

pleeease dont use traps that kill. :( they are livings too, and they are only feeding themselfs, use thos sonic plugins..
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Polarn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm

So far I'm lucky enough to not have gotten any mice inside, even though I live with stables etcetera around. Although it might be the easier access to food in the stables and the walking mousetraps called cats living in the stables and their also allowed into the part of the house where we have the landryroom and hobby room where we fix things... Just hope to keep it that way with the mice on the outside, although sometimes a happy kitten comes dragging one in when your doing the laundry...
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Julianajara wrote:pleeease dont use traps that kill. :( they are livings too, and they are only feeding themselfs, use thos sonic plugins..

None of that eco, humane, virtual garbage works. When there are tasty scattered bits of pellet scattered around on the floor in places you never even thought possible, it will attract those rodents regardless. I have the sonic things and maybe they helped at first or kept some away but they sure as heck didn't solve the problem. Never once caught a single mouse in an enclosed or non-kill trap. The more vicious the trap, the more effective they are apparently. My varmin were rolling around laughing at the humane ones I tried to use. :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Rain
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:Michael, which ultrasonic one did you buy? I've heard that some of them are audible even to -us-. How are yours?

I've tried several different kinds. The black and decker ones come in a pack of three pretty cheap but you can hear an electrical buzz/hum from them if it's dead quiet. I use those in the basement just in case they help. At home though I have some kind of better/expensive one. I think it deters the critters for some time from trying but once they settle in it's useless. Good cleaning is key but the trouble is that parrots are SOOO messy that you never know how far they might have flung a pellet until you find a mouse there or something.

BTW, the little bastards can get into your parrot's cage! I couldn't believe it at first. Basically I had an infestation when I finally discovered them. Since I've been able to get rid of or keep it under control. It's hard to tell when my traps go empty for a while. But during the worst of it, they learned to climb into Kili's cage up the legs somehow and hop into Trumans. It was so bad that there were mouse droppings in the bottoms and I put sticky traps in the cages under the grates! Once I caught the ringleaders that figured this out, I never had a mouse in the cages again. This is why it's important to keep some traps out year round preemptively to catch them in there rather than in the cage. I once came home and in broad daylight watched too mice running around the bottoms of the cages, hop out, and run. Since then it's been war. I had to put sticky traps around the entire perimeter of the cages or they'd find their way between and up the leg. I've probably caught 20 mice in 2 years. 50/50 stick vs snap. 0 in enclosed or humane traps. I continue to use both because it seems some mice prefer one kind over the other :mrgreen:

I keep snap traps loaded between furniture in corners so the parrots can't get to them but it still worries me to have them. I'd never use poison in a home with parrots (although I've heard it done).
Michael
Macaw

Postby liz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 pm

It would not take long for mice to go from parrot food to parrot for food. If I had the problem my birds would be in bed with me with the tiels and lovies in the same room.

I have wrapped duct tape backwards on my fig trees to trap ants before they get to my figs. I wonder if that would work.

The best bet is to get your birds out of there until you can irradicate the pests.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Are you talking to me? I already got rid of the infestation a long time ago but still catch a lone rodent here and there. It's under control now. There was always an abundance of crumbs at the bottom of the cage so there was no chance the mice would pass that up in favor of attacking the parrot. And don't think the parrots are completely helpless. In the daytime Kili would probably be the one doing the killing. She gets really pissed if someone tries to invade her cage area. I've heard of breeding Senegal and Cape Parrots killing mice and snakes that ventured into their nests!

Still, it's important to keep this under control. But also it's important to realize that our parrots are not invulnerable just because the cage is on a raised stand.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby liz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 am

Michael wrote:Are you talking to me? I already got rid of the infestation a long time ago but still catch a lone rodent here and there. It's under control now. There was always an abundance of crumbs at the bottom of the cage so there was no chance the mice would pass that up in favor of attacking the parrot. And don't think the parrots are completely helpless. In the daytime Kili would probably be the one doing the killing. She gets really pissed if someone tries to invade her cage area. I've heard of breeding Senegal and Cape Parrots killing mice and snakes that ventured into their nests!

Still, it's important to keep this under control. But also it's important to realize that our parrots are not invulnerable just because the cage is on a raised stand.

I'm talking in general. The only birds I have that would defend themselves are the lovies.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Shelby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:39 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:
pennyandrocky wrote:hi cage cleaner, there are plugins that give off a signal to drive them away
Those are the ultrasonic ones, right? Have you seen that they work? I was looking into those recently.

Those don't work. My dad got some for our garage and if anything the mice population increased! My grandma also got the little plug in things that make a very quiet "tick tick tick" noise and the mice aren't at all bothered by them but they annoy the heck out of us!

The BEST traps we've ever used are called Vector traps. They look like a cross between a clamshell and a clothespin. You squeeze the back to click them open and spread peanut butter on the inside of the top "shell". There's a little metal pedal that sticks out just inside the trap and when the mouse steps on it to reach the peanut butter it snaps shut right on their head/neck. Instant kill and probably painless too. Then, to dispose of the mouse, you hold the trap over a trashcan and squeeze the back and the mouse just falls out, so you don't even have to touch them! They way they are designed it's almost impossible to get your fingers caught in them and if you accidentally bump them they don't go off. We bought three for our garage a few years ago and for over a month, we were catching about 6 mice a day. We've finally thinned out the population so we only catch one mouse a week now! :thumbsup:
Shelby
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care