Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bug/Fly control in a house with a parrot?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Bug/Fly control in a house with a parrot?

Postby Sparky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 am

How do you do it? :?:

We have a wicked fly problem here in NZ at the moment (wet hot summer) but my fly sprayer system isn't ok for birds/fish etc. Now the flies are driving me crazy!

Has anyone tried citronella oil in a spritzer? Or do you have any other methods that won't poison my boy? Help!
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.
Flight: Yes

Re: Bug/Fly control in a house with a parrot?

Postby Shelby » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 am

Citronella fumes are toxic to birds.

There is a small aviary called True Love Aviary down south and they sell some pest control products that are supposed to be safe... you could check the ingredients and see for yourself.
Pest Control Products
I haven't used them myself but they could be worth looking into.

I also found a post on the BirdTricks blog about Natural Bird-Safe Pest Remedies. It's packed with ideas for different types of annoying bugs. All of them are natural and safe for humans and birds alike and pretty simple to use.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Postby Sparky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks Shelby, that's a start!
Good to know about the citronella, it worked a treat on my horses but wanted to check before trying with Sparky. Thanks!
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.

Postby liz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Outdoors I use flytrap bottles. I always left my sink light on with a fly strip hanging. It got bad in the sunroom last summer so I hung a strip off the light out there. Rambo is a pedestrian. I forgot about Myrtle who likes to hang on things. She lost some belly feathers over that.

If you cage your birds at night you can hang the strip near the only light that will attract them.

My world has changed since I got Myrtle. I even have to baby proof the ceiling.

She is so smart though. It only takes one time for her to learn. She caught her wing tip on the ceiling fan and now flies under them even when they are off. She won't go near things hanging from lights. One flight into a cold garage broke her of wanting out the door. She made one lap and flew back into the dining room. She also has learned the words stay and no.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby matusgreats » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:59 am

Shelby wrote:Citronella fumes are toxic to birds.

There is a small aviary called True Love Aviary down south and they sell some pest control brisbane products that are supposed to be safe... you could check the ingredients and see for yourself.
Pest Control Products
I haven't used them myself but they could be worth looking into.

I also found a post on the BirdTricks blog about Natural Bird-Safe Pest Remedies. It's packed with ideas for different types of annoying bugs. All of them are natural and safe for humans pest control gold coast and birds alike and pretty simple to use.

I am not sure about active response but I need to know green pest control methods that are effective and not harmful. Guys can you help me?
Last edited by matusgreats on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matusgreats
Parakeet

Postby Ryan416 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 pm

What about one of those high voltage bug lights? You could always turn it off when the birds are out but they do have a protective screen on them.
Ryan416
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Ruppell's Parrot

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am

You can use very diluted f10 disinfectant to spray around the room as if it was an air freshener. We did this last summer, with the birds out of the room and then put them back in an hour later and it solved the problem :-) for the little flies at least

I'm not sure why it works it just does. Anything scented i would avoid, as well as flypapers and citronella and bug sprays ALL of which are toxic or dangerous.
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Postby morcowilson » Thu May 30, 2019 5:46 am

Ryan416 wrote:What about one of those high voltage bug lights? You could always turn it off when the birds are out but they do have a protective screen on them.

Hello,

None of us likes bugs at home. To kill these flying insects, they should first be attracted and then electrocuted. An electric fly swatter is one such device with a high voltage electrocuting circuit and an insect attracting UV lamp of 365 nm wavelength. This ultraviolet fluorescent lamp is mounted in the middle of the cabinet and a pair of carefully spaced, electrically insulated, charged wire grids surround the light.

When an insect comes close enough to the mesh pair, an electrical arc is formed, the dielectric breaks down and current flows through the insect’s body. Electrocuting the insect doesn’t require it to touch both the wires as an arc forms in the air gap over 1800 V.
morcowilson
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Marco

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 30, 2019 7:15 am

Hmmm, a small 'electric chair' hanging around a room with a flying parrot? I don't think so!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic