Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please help me!! He is BITING everytime!!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Please help me!! He is BITING everytime!!!

Postby Julianajara » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 am

Ok, I will try this as you sad. Im traveling this weekend so when I go back she will be crazy for gering out of her cage and I will use this for trying again with her. If anythin happend I will let you know.
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Julianajara » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Guys, sort of good news.
Today she didnt bite me!! :D she is kinda of trusting more on my hand now because im giving her space. Now i only get near her when she calls for attntion. AND she let me scratch her head today!! She called me and bend onver her head, I sceatch and she closed her eyes!! Like she didnt do in one week!! Im really happy with the improvement. Still she doesnt want to step up neither spend time on my hand or arm... Maybe next week since Im traveling she will be needy when I get back :)
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby Julianajara » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 am

Hi!!
I really need to show tou guys this video.
First I would like to thankyou all of you, because now Im respecting Hemp's space and only try to touch her and take her when SHE want. (still with some problems on bed time when she doesnt want to step up, nither target, so im using corn and eventually a hand held perch)
But SINCE I came back from that travel on the weekend she didn't bite me!!! One time she didnt want to step up and make the "move" to atack but didnt bite so I moved away and she got calm. But didnt bite since I came back!!
So, she is steping up because Im using target training on the morning for this so on the rest of the day she steps, but I dont ask for it when I see she doesnt want to.
Like always when she gets sleepy she likes to be touched and scratched, those are two thing that I only do when she ASKS for it, make cute noises and lower her head when I get near.
This video show this moment (today) Please watch it because I heard that arent all IRNs that like this. :irn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWN3lR0qgZY&feature=plcp&context=C352e7ddUDOEgsToPDskK9IcJgdYlgV3L2U7Mtw1zq
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby spiral » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi my indian ringneck is female too, shes roughly 5 years old now maybe abit more.
i know how hard they can bite! Dont dispare it will be ok. She maybe going through the bluffing phase but i cant be sure if so the biting will lessen afrer a few weeks on its own.

its very imortant keep handling her regularly but try not show fear use food to reinforced good behaviour. If i am nervous my ringneck knows and becomes more bossy, or at werst tries to bite me.
She does not use a harness, i cannot train her to use one because i have only the use of one hand so everthing is a little trickier, but we manage :thumbsup:
however i do have to use a glove for this reason, she was easy to de sensotyse to the glove and other people handle her without them so she is not totally affriad of hands.

sometimes something really difficult happens because of my disability and i have to start again to biuld extra trust. For instance i accidentally kicked something from an involumtary mustle spasm in my legs, i was barefoot so i got a really bad bruse so i had to get her to fly back to her gage by dropping my arm as it was an imergency but she has forgiven me again now.

good luck
spiral
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Postby Julianajara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:51 am

Yeah! Thanks a lot ! If warent you guys from trained parrot I would get mad haha but everything is wonderful now! She stoped that crazy biting phase!
She is a lil bit moody like all ringneck and by this I mean that she only accept scratches when she adks for them, but as Im better on reading her body lenguage now I know when she wants to be touched an when she wants distance. Now we are respecting each other, some times she gives me "warning bites" is just the bite movement but she dont hurt me anymore! We are in perfect harmonie now hehe

Oh! She is 6 months now! And im thinking about teaching play dead to her :)
Bye and thankyou!
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training