Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Training area

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Training area

Postby HyperD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 am

What do you use as a training area?

I have a table that I am planning to use. I believe it is made from pine but I am not a tree expert :)

It is however varnished...

Do any of you use any sort of mat? Obviously the training time will be supervised so it is not as if there will be time for the table to be chewed and swallowed...

Would you recommend to get some sort of cover?

I suppose one benefit of it being covered is that it will be easily cleaned until potty training is complete!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Training area

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:51 am

I recommend you use a cheap table that you don't mind replacing. In my videos you may notice my $20 Ikea coffee table where we do the training. She has pooped on it, scratched it with her talons, and made a mess of it time and time again. I don't worry in the least what happens. However, since it is smooth, she cannot chew it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I don't think a bird should be left out and alone for a long period of time without someone keeping an eye on it periodically. A clipped bird could get startled, glide or fall down to a surface, and get into something that you don't want it to be getting into (nice furniture, important papers, etc etc). Unclipped birds obviously pose more of a problem.

Pets are destructive so I recommend you use something inexpensive. I would think that bird droppings might stain a wood table. If that's the case, you could look into getting an acrylic table cloth. They are meant to be able to handle messes and easy to wipe clean.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby HyperD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks, I will have to check the local stores for an easy foldable table that I could use.

Failing that I will find the table cloth, they should be easy enough to find :D

And I never plan to leave the parrot unattended, I am aware of the many hazards and I dont want things chewed that arent meant to be!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Return to Taming & Basic Training