Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Galah Cockatoo

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Galah Cockatoo

Postby jaimmorr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 pm

I have been doing some reading on the Galah (Rose-breasted) Cockatoo. They are such interesting little things! Does anyone here have a Galah? Know someone who has a Galah? Can you tell me what they're like? All I have been reading is that they are much easier to handle than a U2. They say that they are not really even like a Cockatoo, but a whole different species. Have you ever heard this?

Just curious :)

DISCLAIMER: (Because I just know that some people are going to get on here and yell at me) Before typing out an angry and disgruntled reply (which I have found is frequent on this forum...) to my post, please re-read it. No where in there do I state that I am interested in PURCHASING a Galah Cockatoo, or any Cockatoo. I am fully aware that these are difficult birds that have a tendency to become "monsters." I would love to have a Galah, but I would never do so unless I believed I was fully capable of handling one. I do not think I am at this moment. Thanks! :thumbsup:
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Galah Cockatoo

Postby ChewToy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 pm

yes I agree Galahs are beautiful. I'm not sure if they actually are like a cockatoo though. living in a australia, everyone just calls them galahs and we see them everywhere in the wild. I haven't had any personal experience with galahs but they are beautiful birds. :)
ChewToy
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Recessive pied budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Postby RedDragon1288 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 am

Well Galahs or Rose-breasted Cockatoos are really not like white Cockatoos. My friend's galah and others that I've met are really sweet and well behaved. They really don't mind entertaining themselves when left alone but they really thrive when hanging out with the family. If you would like to own a Cockatoo, Rose-breasted "Galahs" are a good choice.
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby Sparky » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 am

From what I understand they are very different. Beautiful though!
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:11 am

it's a good thing your asking here. when the rescue told me to research mya i found breeder websites that said she was nothing like other cockatoos. it said they were quiet,flock call can be heard a block away with windows closed.didn't need as much attention,she always wants to be with someone.fortunatly i was also speaking daily to the foster home so i was aware of exactly what i was in for. she's a solomon island/ducorps cockatoo and still new to the U.S. so breeders are trying to use this to sell them to people who don't know what they're in for.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby jaimmorr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks, everyone!

After doing all of this research, (I have read literally every book I could find and am having more shipped to me lol! And I'm running out of internet links!) I have decided to visit as many bird rescues as I can find so that I can handle different types of birds and get used to being around them. :) Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with a Galah... Haha, yeah right! :P
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby DanielA » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:52 am

Definitely like sparky, I have read, and heard the same.
DanielA
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 am

Now you may be cockacurious but in the long term they are still quite difficult. Very noisy, can get aggressive, etc. They are definitely a fun bird in the context of visiting one short term, but I wouldn't ever want to own one. Also they are a lot smaller than you'd think. They have a poofy feathery appearance. But when you come down to it, they have a beak and feet the size of a Senegal Parrot's and only weight about 250g. They may look as big as a Grey Parrot or a Cape but it's all feathers and barely any meat. But don't think that the smaller beak is better. It is really sharp and fricken hurts.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Khaiqha » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am

You can see Galahs in action with the birdtricks people, their galahs perform in their magic shows all the time. Even they don't recommend galahs to people, and their whole job revolves around their birds.
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby luvmyrb2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:12 am

Hi,

I have a rescue/rehomed galah, who has been with me for a few years now, and of course I'm biased, but I think they are wonderful birds, and fairly easy-going, especially for a 'too. I've had and/or worked around other types of cockatoos, and galahs, to me, are by far the easiest 'toos. She has her loud moments, particularly if she is alerting to something like the doorbell ringing, or the front gate closing. She does speak a bit and has some favorite phrases, but is fairly quiet overall. She gets agitated with change, which I would expect, and it takes her a little while to get used to a new member of the family. She will go to anyone but especially likes people with gray hair (which I don't have!), and is the only bird I trust in terms of not biting hard. She does go through her hormonal periods, and she is an over-preener, so typically is missing her lovely pink chest feathers.

They do enjoy being able to forage on the ground, and she often climbs down her cage ladder to the floor to pick up whatever is there, or goes on a walkabout looking for things to chew. They are very prone to fat tumors, so need to be on a high quality diet, and get as much exercise as possible, so are best kept flighted IMO.

As I said, I'm partial, but I think they are wonderful birds!

:galah: :pied:
:hatched: coming soon!
luvmyrb2
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Cockatiel, and Cape Parrot (coming soon!)

Next

Return to Parrot Species