Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is hot glue safe?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Is hot glue safe?

Postby Mangoismybird » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi everyone! I was just wondering - is *cooled* hot glue safe for birds?

I was planning on making some toys for my Jenday Conure since she destroys things so quickly, and while I can manage with strings in a few things, using hot glue would open up some new options. So is it safe?

I heard that the fumes of the actually hot glue are dangerous, but i wouldn't want a bird and a hot glue gun in the same room anyway! One website suggested wrapping a bit of string or twine around the glue after to make sure it your bird doesn't chew it to be safe.

I figured asking you guys wouldn't hurt.

Thanks!
- Charlotte & :jenday: (Mango)
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Is hot glue safe?

Postby allirho » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I really have no clue, though my inclination is to tell you not to use hot glue.
Seeing as you've got a conure, even wrapping string around the hot glue wouldn't stop the bird from being able to easily tear the string apart and get to the glue (whereas if you had a budgie, incapable of tearing some tougher pieces of string it might be a different story).
Is the hot glue labelled as non-toxic? That's another consideration.
Personally, I wouldn't do it, just to be on the safe side. It's not that difficult to just puncture holes in things or tie things with knots instead.
That's just my opinion, but maybe another member knows more about this and can give you a more definite answer.
allirho
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Re: Is hot glue safe?

Postby gabbagabbawill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:43 am

I have had some bird toys that were obviously glued together with "hot melt glue".

Hot melt glues are made of EVA (Ethylene vinyl acetate) and considered to be safe according to this site for baby safe products: http://guide.thesoftlanding.com/are-eth ... non-toxic/

It is considered "safe" because no plasticizer is present.

In this case, my concern with a bird would not be whether the chemicals present are safe, but whether it could/ would get stuck in their digestive system. Birds are said to knowingly not eat things that they can't ingest, therefore, as long as it wasn't stuck to something they are eating, they probably won't ingest it.
gabbagabbawill
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jello - Sun Conure - DOH 6/4/11
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY