Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Galah Cockatoo

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Galah Cockatoo

Postby Graybeard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 pm

We have limited experience with different birds, so this may be skewed.

When we bought our 5 mo. old RB2 last year, she soon earned the name Chewbaca, because she chews everything. She squawks a little about once a day, but I wouldn't hesitate to have her in an apartment. Other than that, she's quiet. She weighs about 280g, compared to 400g of our CAG.

She doesn't talk, other than mumble a little, but some of her clown antics are worth seeing. She's a bit clumsy. She doesn't bite me, and is always ready for a stroking on the back. She bites my wife. She likes strangers, too, and lets them pet her back. Compared to the grey, she's a dumb blonde...

We cared for a U2 for two months, and there is no comparison. At almost our first meeting, she jumped off the ground onto my shoulder, and gave a bite on my ear that bled, and then hurt for 3 weeks. It went downhill from there. She quickly bonded with my wife.

I would rate the RB2 between the CAG and the U2.

PBS did an hour on the parrots of Australia last year. FInd it.

GB
Attachments
HPIM1864c (Small).jpg
(21.41 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Graybeard
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Greybeard: M, CAG b3-09
Chewbaca: F, RB2 b10-10
Flight: No

Postby cheebamaster » Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I would just like to chip in that I am a first time bird owner and have a Galah. She was rehomed, had behavior problems, bit etc...I've been working with her for weeks now and she has become to sweetest most loving thing on earth. I can pet her all over and hold her upside down and she is fine with it.
Take what you read here with a grain of salt. Some people with nothing better to do in their lives get mad at anything that isn't 100% their way. I was told by people here that it was basically idiotic for me to get a Galah as a first bird and that I'd never be able to handle a grey on top of it yada yada...fast forward a couple months and things couldn't be better. Sure I'm going to run into problems but then again I expect to. Michael provided a lot of training techniques that really helped and things are smooth sailing.

If you do your research, if you are truly responsible and you know what you're getting into, I'm sure you'd find one of these little guys a great companion.

If you really like the look and personalities of the Galah, definitely consider them! They are truly amazing.

ps...am I the only one who finds it sad that she needed to put a disclaimer so that people didn't yell at her? Step off your pedestals ladies and gentlemen
cheebamaster
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby cml » Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm

cheebamaster wrote:If you do your research, if you are truly responsible and you know what you're getting into, I'm sure you'd find one of these little guys a great companion.
ps...am I the only one who finds it sad that she needed to put a disclaimer so that people didn't yell at her? Step off your pedestals ladies and gentlemen

I agree with you actually, we were actually looking for a Meyers, had done tons of research on them, but when we got to the breeder to look at his breeding pair, there was this adorable little white fronted amazon there, who had just weaned. Initially we wanted an amazon, but decided they were too big, but the white fronts are only around 190grams, and 25cm. We had completely missed that species of amazon, and we did our research and decided to get him.

It has been a great ride so far, just because he is small doesnt mean he doesnt pack the whole amazon package, so we've had a few speed bumps. Thing is though, we are dedicated to overcoming them, and try to continually do our best for our birds.

I am sure this is the case with you too, and it seems its working out so far =)!

The problem, which I assume many users here are absolutely dead tired of, is that not everyone thinks things through or have the motivation to keep going. A LOT of birds end up in rescues, or are put down, because their owners cant handle their parrot. This is why some bashing sometimes follows post such as: I want a 'too!

However, this forum is a lot nicer than many others, which I think you will find if you browse around a little which is why I disagree with this:
DISCLAIMER: (Because I just know that some people are going to get on here and yell at me) Before typing out an angry and disgruntled reply (which I have found is frequent on this forum...)
I reckon this forum to be all nice and helpful considered to many of the alternatives out there.

That doesnt mean that there isnt room for improvement on how we all phrase our replies towards each other, and especially when its a new user that asks for help! That they've actually come here to ask is a great way for everyone to be able to help, explain and educate that some choices of parrots might be harder to care for than others.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby cheebamaster » Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Well said cml. Only reason I brought it up was because in my first few posts I was rather put off to the general attitude people had towards questions...so to see it happen with someone else just proves there is an issue.

If you want people out there to understand what they're getting into, provide links, reinforcement, positivity and helpfulness in a calm environment. Rude responses only push people away and does not contribute in any way to helping rehomed birds or problems with being put down.

That said, unfortunately I may be banned or this deleted but I feel the need to call out the supermoderator Michael on this exact issue. He is extremely helpful and his videos and blogs are fantastic but the way he responds to some people on this forum is just plain rude. I recall he told me I would get "destroyed' by a grey because my galah was nipping me and I was seeking solutions and in another post I randomly saw he told someone "a parrot is not for you" after the guy had written out a two page summary on what he was looking for. Or in another post where he said People buy parrots and clip their wings because they want a pretty looking, talking, hamster (that can't go anywhere or get away from them when they aren't treating it in a way that it accepts). Then they make up myths and excuses against flight to justify themselves (cognitive dissonance)....folklore about "clipping for their own safety...

Funny you say folklore..my grey just learned to fly and crashed into a cage in the petstore pretty bad and hurt herself...doesn't sound like folklore to me! Perhaps a case of cognitive dissonance though

Believe it or not Michael but I am clipping my birds wings and it's not because I was a pretty hamster. I know plenty of people who have clipped birds and are fine with it. You know a lot about parrots and provide a lot of helpful information but you are not the Jesus of parrots. People can and WILL do things differently. Making tainted remarks do not help any situation. I am calling you specifically out on this because you have a lot of influence on may people on this forum. Your training methods have helped me out immensely and for that I am grateful. However, it is wrong to push an agenda to people and make them feel like crap.

I am sorry if I pushed this too far but it needs to be said.
cheebamaster
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 pm

i have gotten frustrated when people ask for help and don't give all the info or don't like the answer i give i can only go by what i read and my own experiance.those of us on here who have had clipped birds and seen them gain flight see our birds change into happier,tamer,and less destructive birds. i'll never understand getting a parrot built for flight and taking that away.i doubt michael will kick you off, he can handle other people's opinions.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby cml » Thu May 03, 2012 12:56 am

Why would you clip your parrot? I am not going to rant, but its like removing a dog's legs, something that would be seen as very cruel indeed.

And as penny wrote, I dont think michael will throw you off just for having a different opinion ;).
cml
African Grey

Postby Graybeard » Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 am

Jailing a bird in a human house is only a difference in degree to jailing it a cage. Unless it has total free flight, to come and go to its house for meals, meetups and safe sleep, its life is that of a prisoner.

How you jail your bird is less important than why you have it at all. How big does a bird's jail have to be, in proportion to its size, to make indoor flight worthwhile?
Graybeard
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Greybeard: M, CAG b3-09
Chewbaca: F, RB2 b10-10

Postby naomi » Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 am

hi everybody,
just wanna share opinion. :)

i think clipping parrot's wing is more like a personal choice.my grey's wings clipped by his ex-owner.sometimes he try to fly and he fell down,honestly i cant see him keep trying his fly ability.it just hurt my feeling.i had him for almost 2 months now and he still keep trying even he knows that he cant fly.
and other thing is i can newly pet him these day. he 'still' very unsecure because he knows he cant runaway from me if i want to do something bad to him.he starting to trust my hand,in other hand he always nervous and extremely watch what im doing when my hand around him.i guess this wont happen if he can fly,at least he will more confident than he is now.

mmm my vet said fly is very important for them specially for mental and chest muscle.if u cant provide safety room for them or not enough experience and confident to handling wild-fly bird so clipping wings is an option.but its really unfair to clip them too short(mine is very brutally clip and i will kill his ex owner if i could meet him).still,bird meant to fly,god knows what the best for them and give them wings.this is only my opinion, clip/unclip is depend on the situation.
about me?i will let his fur grow after next molt :)
thankssss
naomi
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Congo Grey
2 cockatiels
goffin cockatoo

Postby cml » Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 am

Graybeard wrote:Jailing a bird in a human house is only a difference in degree to jailing it a cage. Unless it has total free flight, to come and go to its house for meals, meetups and safe sleep, its life is that of a prisoner.

How you jail your bird is less important than why you have it at all. How big does a bird's jail have to be, in proportion to its size, to make indoor flight worthwhile?

I will use our appartment to show you all an example. Its about 915ft^2 or 85m^2, depending on which measurement system you use.

Lets stay with metric units for now for the rest of this post (as long as you are consistant with your units, the end result will be the same regardless). Our ceiling height is 3.5m which makes our total air volume aprox 300m^3.

I use volume as parrots move in 3 dimensions, where we are mostly confined to 2 dimensions.

Considering Stitch and and Leroy are about the same size, and their "volume" is approximatly 1dm^3 (they are even smaller but for the sake of simple calculations we will use this) which is 0.001m^3, they live in a space that is roughly 300000 times (three houndred thousand) bigger than them.

I would consider that quite a big "cage", even if I buy your argument that it is, infact an extended cage.

Clipping them will instead restrict their movement to something along the lines of ours of 2 dimensions, only they arent built for it. They wont use the space, and be confined to where you put them.
cml
African Grey

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu May 03, 2012 12:52 pm

when i was looking to get a new parrot i wanted a :macaw: but i live in a small house so i chose a bird that could safely fly through the house.mine are out and free to go where they please 12 hours a day i don't consider that jailed.they still get to go outside harnessed so they can fly a small distance outside,or in an outdoor cage.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species