Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flighted Retrieve

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Flighted Retrieve

Postby Mona » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Tom:

This is probably the wrong place to post these but I visited Eb Cravens a few years ago and I have photos of his free flying King Parrot. Yes, the bird was a male. I'll see if I can attach them because I think you might enjoy them.
Attachments
King's colors.jpg
King's colors.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
King Parrot in Mango Tree.jpg
King Parrot in Mango Tree.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
King on Aviary.jpg
King on Aviary.jpg (54.15 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:09 pm

This nesting behavior, is it a greater tendency for hens or all parrots?

What are some criteria you would look in a parrot for outdoor freeflight. Once again, not that I am going in that direction right now but I would like to set meeting those as the ultimate goal of indoor freeflight.

Also, do you know of any NorthEast parrot flyer groups, particularly in or around New York City?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Mona » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi Michael:

I think hens. Eb Cravens has even written (I think) that hens are often not good free flying candidates. Of course, it's going to vary by species.

I don't know any other fly groups besides ours and one in Portugal. There used to be one in Manhattan. It was a big bird club there. We've been trying to discuss and promote this sort of thing but for some reason, it seems difficult for people to get it off the ground. If any body is ever interested, you are welcome to join our yahoogroups because we have done a lot of work and we have forms, etc. available for any body who wants to try and start a group.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:10 pm

It sounds really difficult to start one. I don't know anyone in NYC that freeflies parrots! It's not like bumping into other dog owners while walking the dogs....
Michael
Macaw

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Here's a status update on training the flighted retrieve. I taught Kili to walk between two chairs and eventually fly as I spread them to fetch a ball between the two. This was easy to teach because she already knows retrieve and flight. She is already used to flying to me with the ball. The main thing I've been working on is to have her fly to get the ball herself rather than handing to her. That's where the chairs came in. She can see the ball and make her own motion to get it.

Here's a video from a couple days ago of the initial training of this trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9hWGgaQYyU

I had Kathleen video me doing this today and you'll be able to see Kili's progress on youtube in a few days as soon as I can get the video processed.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Vikki » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 am

I would love to train my Harlequin Macaw to recall but I currently don't have an area large enough to do that kind of training and oddly enough, when I do let him roam around the house, he seems to rather walk than fly, which I find odd.

Our Hahn's, Pickle, has deadly accuracy for recall and he was never trainied at all. We tend to leave our birds out when we are home (I currently live in a small cottage, about 850 sq ft, so its not a large area) and if we are across the house, Bryan can call him by name and seconds later he will come and land. bad thing about that is that we call him the "kamikaze bandit" because he also has deadly accuracy for fly-by biting, LOL. He loves to fly up behind people, bite their necks and fly away as he laughs aloud.

The rescue where I volunteer is currently in transition, looking to move to a property with some large outbuildings which we plan on turning into free flights for all the birds at the rescue. That will definitely allow me the space to train my macaw, I'm sure.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds. - Aesop
Vikki
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's parrot, Catalina Macaw, Harlequin Macaw, Hahn's macaw

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks