Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green cheek conure question

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Green cheek conure question

Postby iguanabytes » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:59 pm

I have a yellow sided conure, about 8 months old. we think male, but don't know. he has a behavior that I understand is common for his species, but I would like to know what he means by it, if anyone can help

he arches his back, bobs up and down and struts back and forth. his head feathers are flat on top, but out in the back. he will "bow" three times, walk across whatever surface he is on, then "bow" in the other direction. it's not new, he's always done it, I would just like to know what it means, (and what I'm telling him when I bow back to him)

:gcc:
iguanabytes
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Conure, Parrotlet, budgies, red-rumped parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Green cheek conure question

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 pm

my :gcc: does that alot it can mean he wants to show off because we laugh when he does it,sometimes though he does it when he's trying to intimidate someone he knows is afraid of him.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:51 am

Ollie never does it to me but does it to my boyfriend alot. I thought he was displaying to him to start off with but now I actually think he is trying to show my bf who is boss after obseving them together, as it is frequently after my bf has told Ollie off for something or after he has been bitten and put him down.
Ollie rarely bites me and I don't tell him off, I ignore unwanted behaviours instead, so I wonder if thats why I don't get the strutting about, bowing behaviour.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby hooligan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 am

My GCC has never done this before, but it sounds hilarious. Scrubby is definitely female, though, so maybe it's just a male behavior.
hooligan
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure (Cinnamon Turquoise)
Flight: No

Postby iguanabytes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 pm

thanks for the replies on this- today I initiated the bow and got a wonderful display back; he is so hilarious
iguanabytes
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Conure, Parrotlet, budgies, red-rumped parakeet

Postby Bobioden » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Maxx my YSGCC does that all the time.
Bobioden
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species