Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:19 am

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Re: Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Postby pennyandrocky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:44 am

my bluefront :amazon: was about 20 when an ex tried to win me back with a :budgie: and he loved having another so much that when the :budgie: passed i got him a :rainbow: he loved her too.so yes it is possible to introduce an older bird to another.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:06 am

Any experience with senegals though? They are a bit more possessive.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby pennyandrocky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:28 pm

really? you must have alot of experiance with :amazon: s to know this.no i've never had a sengal.i had an older bird that enjoyed the company of other birds after 20 years of only people.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:06 pm

That's good to know, thank you. I wish there was a bit more input from others though :-/
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Probably not gonna work out. Senegals are known to be one person birds which in other words means they only accept their mate and attack anyone and everything else. They are even known to be mate killers and will kill their mate after many years of sharing a nest together.

I know at least several people who have had major accidents by combining other parrots with a Senegal. I know someone who had a Senegal bite a Quaker Parrot's leg off through the cage bars. Someone else on this forum had a Senegal Parrot sneak out of its cage and kill their Conure in its cage when they weren't home. Lots of other chew and attack marks on other parrots from Senegals. They can be real bullies. Also, they'll go after birds bigger than their own size and put themselves at risk of counter attack by something much bigger.

Senegal Parrots can get super jealous and that leads to aggression. You can using taming, training, scheduling, and diet to moderate some of this but you can never entirely eliminate it. With a lot of effort, it is possible to teach other people how to behave around the parrot and overcome problems. Not possible with another bird because they react in their own ways. Not many birds can stand up to a Senegal Parrot and I can tell you for a fact that my Cape Parrot who is 3x bigger is terrified of her.

Since you are into clipping birds, it's even more likely to encourage fighting and endanger them. If they are kept clipped, on separate stands/cages, out of cage time supervised, etc you are probably fine but essentially they cannot be accessible to each other by foot or they will fight. From what it sounds like, yours climbs around a good bit and feels like it owns the whole house. That will definitely trigger a lot of competitive aggression. Don't even for a minute think you will ever cage another bird with that Senegal. Even in my 8x12x7ft aviary with 2 flighted parrots they just barely get by without fighting but inevitably Truman can't do anything when she's around. Anything smaller than that and there would be blood.

You said that everyone gets along well with the Senegal, why in the world add another one and disrupt the successful balance?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ginger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:47 pm

NEVER place a Senegal in with another bird! Even another Senegal. I have 8 Senegals. Don't even risk it. Micheal is absolutely right. I beg you to heed his warning. You are just asking for trouble and serious injury by placing them in a cage together. They aren't even safe to place on a playstand or your lap, or your shoulder together. You need to really think about this and act accordingly. Please take the advice given to you by Senegal owners such as me and Michael who are familiar with them. I'm sure that others will chime in to tell you the same thing.

BTW...Senegals are often better as the ONLY bird. That is what they truly desire. They are extremely jealous and very territorial not of just things but of their person. You're really asking for trouble here. I think that since things are good with Leo you should just leave well enough alone.

Oh, and in case you are wondering why I have so many Senegals they are rescues. Some are in need of adoption others need sanctuary. I have too much experience to write in a post, but if you'd like you can PM me and I'll give you more personal information based on real life experience with Senegals.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:24 am

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 am

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby marie83 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 am

senegalparrotowner wrote: I can see a lotta anger at my question but again, it is just research so chill.

I see no anger, just enthusiastic responses from people who know what they are talking about :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Next

Return to Parrot Species