Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Introducing adult Senegal Parrot to a new bird: Possible?

Postby terri » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:43 am

senegalparrotowner wrote:As i said, i am merely carrying out research. Thank you for the input! I will reconsider certainly. What about a cat? If we say get a kitten and it grows up with Leo, could they co-exist? Much experience with this at all anyone? The cat would be kept outside of course, only allowed in with super vision and kept far from Leo (we have a big house and Leo stays at one side of it). I can see a lotta anger at my question but again, it is just research so chill.

Are you messing with us!!
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2
Flight: Yes

Postby senegalparrotowner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Last edited by senegalparrotowner on Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 pm

cats dogs and birds can live together just fine but you do have to be careful dog and cat saliva is toxic and i would never recommend it for an unflighted bird too dangerous. my cousin's birds are clipped and she had her greencheek ripped apart by her dogs.i've had dogs cats and birds living together just fine going on 20 years and never had an issue they all got along fine.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby ginger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Speaking from experience so please take my advice. I had dogs and cats at the time that I adopted my first Senegal parrot. I didn't know anything back then. Would I do it again? NO WAY! Why? Because it isn't fair to all the animals. Somebody gets shorted, and it typically the bird. I finally had to make some really hard choices. I had to make sure that my bird (and ultimately birds) were safe from the dogs and cats. My dogs and cats didn't seem to be a problem at first. They were curious and seemed to be in harmony with the birds. But, after reading more and knowing some of the horror stories of other bird owners personally, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth the risk.

So my cats and dogs were locked out of the areas of the house where my birds were located. I am fortunate in that I have a large enough house to accommodate having a room to keep my bird cages in so while the birds are caged I can close the door, but when they are out in the living room the cats and dogs are locked out. My dogs have a utility room that has a doggie door and my cats are completely locked out because I had a custom gate built that keeps them out of the living room. The living room is the area that is reserved for bird playstands and out of cage time to just hang out with me.

Since my birds require much more attention than the dogs and cats, the dogs and cats get shorted of the time that was given to them prior to birds being added to the family. I would never consider giving up my dogs and cats because they are my responsibility as a pet owner. However that being said, it is crucial that the safety of my birds be respected even though the temptation is there to mix them in with the dogs and cats.

Don't even think for one minute that just because your birds are caged or you consider them safe because they're on a playstand that they are not in danger. They are not. Placing them all in one room is not ideal and should not be done.

I know many people will disagree with me on this topic and they are all entitled to their opinions, but speaking from experience, which is what you said you wanted, I think it totally irresponsible to house them any other way. The bird people that I know through the rescue and bird clubs have experienced the heartache of losing a beloved bird to the family dog or cat. It only takes one second, just one, and that instinct within the dog or cat is stimulated to attack. It might be play to begin with, but they are animals after all. You need to treat them all accordingly and be a responsible bird owner.

BTW, I mentioned dogs and cats in my home. When I first started out I had six cats and three dogs. I wish I knew then what I know now about birds and mixing them with other animals. All the dogs and cats have passed except one cat and one dog. Once they have passed on too I will never get another because it just isn't fair to any of them to be neglected because I can't spend the proper amount of time they deserve. Many of my birds will most likely outlive me. I will make damn sure that their lives are not compromised by introducing them to other animals.

In case you didn't know cat saliva carries a bacteria that can be deadly to birds. Because cats groom themselves by licking their paws it is also on their feet and claws. Their noses also have the bacteria on them too. Notice the next time you touch a cat's nose that it is wet. It is a big risk to allow cats to play with birds. One touch of that nose, a claw, or worse a bite and you have exposed your bird to a very serious, if not deadly, bacteria. Just food for thought.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby cmaygar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Regarding cats and birds, I have a tom cat that is an indoor/outdoor(barn) cat. He is 8 years old. He was taught from the time that he was a kitten to leave my Quaker parakeet alone. The Quaker was 16 at the time. This Quaker also "trained" a number of dogs in her 23 years to leave her alone and curretly my cat and 3 dogs all peacefully co-exist today with 3 parrots. Cats or dogs can be trained to accept a parrot. My amazon loves to be in my screened in pool enclosure on his stand with a very large German Shepherd and a Vizsla lying down next to the stand.

I would not recommend leaving a cat and bird alone at any time when the cat could have access to the bird until you feel comfortable with the cat. If you're careful and persisent, you could develop a good bird-cat relationship over time.
cmaygar
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Amazon
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
White Bellied Caique
Cape Parrot (Grey Headed)

Postby Shelby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:15 pm

senegalparrotowner wrote:What about a cat? If we say get a kitten and it grows up with Leo, could they co-exist? Much experience with this at all anyone? The cat would be kept outside of course, only allowed in with super vision and kept far from Leo

No. No, no, no, a thousand times. Cats have very strong predatory instincts. Cats and birds very rarely do well together, and only in homes where the owners train the heck out of both species. Anyone who owns cats and birds at the same time is asking for trouble.

My cat (a very ordinary tiger-striped cat) has attacked me and dragged me to the ground in both my house and my yard numerous times. I am 19 years old, 10x bigger than he is, and it's no problem for him to take me down. He sits on the roof of our van and snatches bats out of the air as they fly by our house at night. He has brought home dead jack rabbits, small geese, ducks, weasels, squirrels, giant water rats (we live near a swamp) and terrorizes the neighborhood dogs. He could eat a parrot in a locked cage faster than you can blink. Most cats are this way, I think.

My best friend has a cockatiel. They got a kitten to eliminate the mice in their old farmhouse. They got the kitten as soon as he was old enough to be taken from his mother, and he's been raised with their cockatiel in the house, and he goes after it every chance he gets. Several times, I've been over and we locked the cat in another room and took the bird out. In the middle of playing with the bird, the cat has come out of nowhere and tried to snatch the cockatiel right out of our hands. Cats are sneaky little boogers and will do whatever they want to do, whenever they feel like doing it.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet

Postby Mona » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm

This may duplicate...but I do think Senegals and other parrots can be kept together. I have three Senegals and two greys and they do fine together. (Of course, not caged together) I do believe that any other bird that you get has to be equal to the Senegal. Also, my boys seem to get along with other birds better than my hen....(who I adore)

You can read more at my website www.flyingparrotsinside.com

Thanks
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby senegalparrotowner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Shelby wrote:
senegalparrotowner wrote:What about a cat? If we say get a kitten and it grows up with Leo, could they co-exist? Much experience with this at all anyone? The cat would be kept outside of course, only allowed in with super vision and kept far from Leo

No. No, no, no, a thousand times. Cats have very strong predatory instincts. Cats and birds very rarely do well together, and only in homes where the owners train the heck out of both species. Anyone who owns cats and birds at the same time is asking for trouble.

My cat (a very ordinary tiger-striped cat) has attacked me and dragged me to the ground in both my house and my yard numerous times. I am 19 years old, 10x bigger than he is, and it's no problem for him to take me down. He sits on the roof of our van and snatches bats out of the air as they fly by our house at night. He has brought home dead jack rabbits, small geese, ducks, weasels, squirrels, giant water rats (we live near a swamp) and terrorizes the neighborhood dogs. He could eat a parrot in a locked cage faster than you can blink. Most cats are this way, I think.

My best friend has a cockatiel. They got a kitten to eliminate the mice in their old farmhouse. They got the kitten as soon as he was old enough to be taken from his mother, and he's been raised with their cockatiel in the house, and he goes after it every chance he gets. Several times, I've been over and we locked the cat in another room and took the bird out. In the middle of playing with the bird, the cat has come out of nowhere and tried to snatch the cockatiel right out of our hands. Cats are sneaky little boogers and will do whatever they want to do, whenever they feel like doing it.

Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it. But a coupla things... I've got tons of experience with cats, years and years but for the last 7 I haven't had any... NEVER has a cat taken me down and nor have i been attacked by any of my cats other than during play time... What kinda cat have you got!!?ha

The tiel story is chilling though, there is no way a cat like that could ever be allowed in our home. Our parrot is far too important. Again, just doing research. nothing is concrete guys. I'll probably end up just getting another snake or a chameleon. I think my parents are leaning towards a large dog anyway, one to be kept outside. No where near the parrot.
senegalparrotowner
Parrotlet

Postby Shelby » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 am

senegalparrotowner wrote:Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it. But a coupla things... I've got tons of experience with cats, years and years but for the last 7 I haven't had any... NEVER has a cat taken me down and nor have i been attacked by any of my cats other than during play time... What kinda cat have you got!!?

You're welcome. He's just an ordinary tiger-striped tom. His previous owners weren't very nice to him, but we've had him for about 16 years now and he's only just started to mellow out (about 9 months since his last attack - a new record)... but he's totally disenchanted me and I can't see myself having another cat after he's gone. Also, after seeing him bring home dead animals more than twice his size, I've gotten a pretty good idea of what a 5-pound cat can do if he's in the mood. All cats have the potential to be lean, mean, killing machines.

If you're going to get another non-avian pet, a dog would be most likely be safer than a cat. Don't get one of the birding/hunting dogs, though - a retriever or spaniel in a home with parrots is probably not a good idea. And please, read up on dog training (NOT Cesar Milan's barbaric methods!) before you get the dog and be prepared to train him to stay away from the parrot and the cage. Also remember that even if you keep the dog outside, you'll still need to train and exercise him or he'll destroy your yard and be very unhappy. Most dogs were bred for doing certain jobs and the working dogs, like shepherds/collies/huskies, can go crazy without work to do. They're just as much work as a parrot, only they don't live as long... Good luck and do lots of research before picking out a breed!
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet

Postby Grey_Moon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 am

I think its safe to say that the Old World birds are extremely different from the New World birds.
Thus, I would not (no offense to anyone) take the advice of someone owning a Macaw, Conure or Amazon etc (New World) with regards to the ability of a Senegal, African Grey or etc (Old World) to share their humans.

Old World birds flock in single-species and thus seem to have a very well defined sense of 'us' and 'them'. New World birds are often seen in large mixed-species groups and thus seem more accepting of 'outsiders'.

My Timneh Grey refuses to live with another bird and will attack/provoke/have a jealous plucking fit on sight of another parrot if its on familiar turf. She bit and caused nerve damage to both my ex-tiel's feet, tore out his toenail through the cage bars and ripped out tailfeathers. Whenever he was out, she would go immediately to her cage lock and try to chew it off. The cockatiel long-term was always sickly (partially due to a long battle with giardia, but also due to stress and anxiety) and it was rare for me not to have him on anti-biotics or have to watch his droppings which were never normal. He had extremely loud stress and fear based screaming. Ultimately he was placed in a rescue and is now much happier :D

This seems to extend to non-avian pets as well. My TAG will also shriek at (its her intruder/defense call) and dive bomb or chase cats, dogs and other small creatures even if they're not bothering her or her cage. Thus, I would not, ever, ever add a predator species to the home as she would go after them and lose ultimately when the cat/dog/snake etc defended itself.

I also agree that when you have two highly social but also highly incompatible companion animals in the home that one of them loses. One becomes the baby and gets all the attention the other becomes the nuisance and the one who gets the short end of the stick. The one who 'if only we didn't have it then the bird/cat/dog would be happier and get more attention, not be locked away and we would be less stressed juggling schedules and be less guilty'. I experienced this with the cockatiel, I always felt bad because he always came second and I had to watch them 24/7.

I would question your motive (again, as someone who as been there) as to why you need another parrot. Often it is because the first bird/pet is not living up to your expectations, so you get another hoping that one will be 'cuddlier, smarter etc.'. What you end up with is a house full of minimally-cared for, anxious, stressed and borderline neglected animals. Or in my case you end up with three stressed out birds who don't get all they want, become more like liabilities who need to be carefully rotated out for 'playtime' instead of a cherished family member. The larger the animal collection so to speak gets the more they become display animals---hence the word collection.

I would not get a snake, because you are risking either stress or aggression on the part of the snake from the scent of the parrot. A parrot will also be very stressed by the sight of a snake, even if secured in a cage. Of course...if the snake ever gets loose...

Everyone else has told you of the cat saliva etc bacteria risk, so I won't repeat. A dog is an even bigger threat due to size and again breed differences have been mentioned already.

All this to say I would focus on putting your energy and love into your senegal. IF you must absolutely have another pet may I suggest a small lizard like a gecko? They don't need much attention and live safely in glass terrariums away from jealous beaks. Due to salmonella etc risks of course careful handwashing is a must though.

PS: Not to start a fight on an off-topic subject but Shelby I highly disagree that the Dog Whisperer's methods are cruel.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species