Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My bird has a hurt foot, please help!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

My bird has a hurt foot, please help!

Postby Tro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 pm

My green cheek conure was waiting for his egg I boiled him and didn't see his little foot in the way of where the bowl snaps into his cage. Long story short I accidentally smashed his foot pretty hard. Hes been favoring his other foot and has a limp when he try's to walk on both feet. I called the only after hours vet we have in Fairbanks AK and they said they weren't comfortable with bird and couldn't do anything for him but pain meds. I passed on the pain meds because I didn't feel confident that the vet new enough about birds to prescribe pain meds to him. I will call his avian vet first thing in the morning but if it is broken will waiting till morning be a huge issue when the vet try's to treat it? And what is done for birds with broken feet? How is the vet able to tell if it's broken? And one last question what should I do to make him as comfortable as possible until morning? I'm very worried about him and feel absolutely terrible thanks for the help.
Tro
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeck conure
Flight: Yes

Re: My bird has a hurt foot, please help!

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Vet xray to find out if broken. They can't do anything except give pain meds and let it heal on its own. When Truman had a fracture, I had to keep him in a shallow tub for a month so he wouldn't climb around the cage on it. Then had to do physical therapy exercises to get the muscles back in shape after it healed. More about that in the forum archives and on my blog.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Eurycerus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm not super sure but you might want to put your buddy in a smaller cage like a travel cage with a towel wrapped a warming pad. When birds are sick or injured they have a more difficult time keeping their temperature regulated. I hope your buddy is okay.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby Tro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
Tro
Cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:31 am

Definitely an xray needed. Most likely the vet cannot do anything apart from advise you on what michael said but I have heard of rare cases where they can splint the breaks etc to aid healing but that very much depends on the break.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Tro » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:18 pm

When i got up this morning and let my bird out he was acting fine again. I brought him in to the vet anyway to make sure and the vet examined his foot and said its not broken, thank goodness!
Thanks to all for the advise and help! :D
Tro
Cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 am

I'm so glad you got some good news and he is ok.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Sana Bukhari » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:09 pm

mY LITTLE PRINCESS PARROT HAS FOOT INJURED , i MISTAKENLY PUT MY SHOES WORE FOOT ON HER LITTLE CUTE FOOT SO SHE IS INJURED AND HER FOOT IS SWELL AND SHE FEELS PAIN . PLEASE SUGGEST ME TREATMENT FOR HER .
Sana Bukhari
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: I have one male reddish and blackish ringneck green parrot and one female lack the ringneck green parrot.actually I have worn shoes and mistakenly I I put my foot on my little princess parrot foot and she is now injured and very disappointed. Kindly help me how can I treat to her foot.
Flight: No

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:56 pm

You need to take her to an avian vet as soon as possible. This is not something you can treat at home yourself.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 am

Lori is correct. The foot needs to be XRayed and, possibly, bandaged so as to immobilize it for the bones to knit correctly (you can't do it yourself, they need to look under the XRAY while they do it so they know the bones are aligned properly) and she will need anti-inflammatories and pain killers (for which you need a prescription and specific dosage to the bird's weight).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet