Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Postby pfinarffle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:23 pm

I sometimes wonder about pellets as well. The simple fact of processing food into pellets must surely destroy some components of nutrition that are vital to our birds' healths.

OP, have you tried Goldenfeast Golden'obles at all?
http://hungrybirdfood.com/complete-list-of-pellet-ingredients/goldenfeast-goldenobles-pellet-ingredient-list/

I've been pretty happy with the Goldenfeast line, though I mix it up with Harrisons as well as whatever fresh food our guy will tolerate.
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Grey_Moon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:21 pm

The golden'obles worked pretty well when I was feeding them. I liked that it was all natural and has plenty of ingredients. Depending on Jacko's blood results in the fall I may go back to them, but for the meantime I try to avoid soy in Jacko's food.

On a side note I originally stopped using them because I noticed that both birds became really hyper and the cockatiel had yeast flare-ups. There is a lot of sugar within those pellets.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby Bobioden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Have you tried Roudybush Daily Maintenance?
Bobioden
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Grey_Moon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:39 am

No, the only Roudybush product I've tried is the Roudybush rice---but given that it is actually some of the cleanest non-allergenic products Roudybush makes I'd assume I'd rank other Roudybush products lower than the rice diet.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby GreenWing » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Tiki's blend is a mix of pellets, seeds, dried fruits/peppers. There's peanuts in it, too, but I take that out as I'm paranoid about peanuts. I don't know the brand, but I'll find out.

I didn't know parrots could eat coconut oil, good to know. :thumbsup:

The majority of Tiki's diet is fresh. I give her fresh kale, basil leaves, raspberries and strawberries from my garden every day. She's happy, but I think she is getting sick of strawberries lol

Eurycerus wrote:
I do have a question that makes me feel silly. Is there a topic somewhere, or can someone tell me how much a parrot eats or should eat every day based on type of species? I just got a Senegal and the previous lady said she gave half a cup of pellet in the morning and night (and no the little bird didn't eat all of it, also there was another bird who'd steal her food). However since I am hoping to transition to actual food as listed above, how much do you serve?

Thank you!

Great question! Before we took Tiki home, we were told pellets in the morning and a fresh snack at night, but it's not quite that way; Tiki eats breakfast and dinner when the rest of her "flock" eats (she eats fresh food for breakfast and dinner). Breakfast typically is a bit of whole grain toast and fresh raspberries from the backyard. Tiki loves food and is a bit of a pig; is your bird a big eater, too?
:lol: :senegal:
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks for the share Grey_Moon, I've been giving my Mynah bird Winnie Harrisons for almost a year and then I just bought a GCC and thought to give the same, which is what she's been eating for a few weeks now.

But now that I see Totally Organics Pellets (Totally Organics), I'm really impressed with the ingredients. I'm going to be ordering me some TOPS...

Never thought to consider Harrisions with the corn, soy and peanuts... :?

CHEERS
BeBe :gcc:
Scotty
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby marie83 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

Out of interest can you get TOPS in the UK? I've never heard any brits mentioning it before.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Scotty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:58 pm

marie83 wrote:Out of interest can you get TOPS in the UK? I've never heard any brits mentioning it before.

I spoke to the owner a few days ago, Gudrun, she says she doesn't have anyone getting TOPS in the UK...

She said the reason being, most people in the UK cook everyday, so they are probably giving cooked food they eat instead...

Looking at the US Postal Internation Rates for the UK for 4lbs it's not that bad;

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.asp ... &o=1&mt=13

This is known as the 'Flat Rate Box' so that is what makes it cheap, just a flat rate for anything that fits in it, up to 4lbs, so you want to make sure to let Gudrun know about that and I don't see why you can't get it directly, she also uses PayPal for payments...

They don't have TOPs where I live and I ordered directly from her, but I'm not in the UK, but I don't see why it's going to matter where she sends it to, unless it has to be declared what it is and go through checks, or customs, etc...

CHEERS
BeBe :gcc:
Scotty
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby RedDragon1288 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:27 am

Whatever rocks your boat.
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby cml » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am

Grey moon wrote:Tropican lifetime & high preformance granules (HAGEN) :)
I'm from Quebec so in HARI's backyard. These are my preferred best of the worst--and if you can't find TOPS or you're pressed for time and money--these offer reasonable nutrition for the price and one of the better fat ratios and ingredient lists out there.

We've decided to try these!

Stitch and Leroy's beaks have been growing (as ive posted previously about), and after talking to our avian vet (and showing pictures) he concluded that there's no need to do any grooming, but we should try to keep an eye out so that they dont grow further.

Seeing we already had a pellet diet (supplemented with veggies and fruit), provide fresh branches and new toys for them at a regular basis, the beaks should be fine by themselvs, but seing they are not, it might be that they are getting too much of something in their diet. So we are trying to switch pellets for a month or two and see if that helps!

Now we just need to get the guys to eat them, Stitch doesnt seem to mind but Leroy is very sceptical... :roll:
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet