Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Any advise??

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Any advise??

Postby Cockatielsongs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:24 am

Help! I have reccently started target training my cockatiel a few days ago. When he is on his training perch I would place the stick on the other end and my cockatiel would come and touch the tip of the stick without a problem. For the last two days I've been placing my 'tiel on a table so I can target train him a little further away, however he doesn't go to the stick as usual, he justs stands there looking lost in space. When i nudge him he would just look up at me, then run to me ignoring the stick completely. So when he's on the table I put the stick closer to him so all he has to do is reach forward but he still stands there looking lost in space... :greycockatiel:
He's fine target training on his perch though. :?
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Any advise??

Postby Acka » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:10 am

If you havent already try make a vocal que for the birds action so that your cockatiel knows what it is meant to be doing. i use "Target"

Mika= :gcc:
Acka
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: 1 yellow sided Green Cheek Conure

Postby marie83 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Yup vocal cue is important.

Other thing is is your 'tiel used to being on the table anyway? He may find it too slippy to want to move if he isn't already used to the surface. Try somewhere he is more familiar with, perhaps the sofa then practice in a few other familiar places before trying him in unfamiliar circumstances.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Cockatielsongs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:58 am

Yes I've been using a vocal cue ("touch") It probably is because he isn't familiar with the surface, it's the first time I've ever trained him on it. So now I'm doing it on the sofa whcih he is very familiar with and got very good results. :) Thanks for the advice :greycockatiel:
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo

Return to Parrot Trick Training