Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby oknuma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 pm

i agree that photo is horrid and i doubt it is fake either.
I have been known to go all over youtube and other places reporting videos of birds smoking and other cruelties.

Michael wrote:. Parrots do not belong around smoking, period.

I also agree that parrots dont belong around smoking. period. we have however both stated on several occasions now that our smoking is both away from and does not affect our birds. As such i dont believe our birds fall into this category.

Michael wrote:. I don't concern myself with the in and out details of smoking, sorry

Just for the record I join and enjoy bird forums ( and others ) because I "meet" new people with common interests which makes sure there is a huge ability to learn. I have at times found my self aggreeing, disagreeing and learning from things you have posted on the site. But comments like the one above just scream " my way is the only way". They dont make people feel like as a board owner ( I am assuming?) you have any interest in bettering yourself but only others.
Ban me if you will for saying it but I would like to say that I do quite enjoy it here and just wanted to get off my chest
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:51 pm

I don't ban anyone for stating their opinion respectfully.

oknuma wrote:
Michael wrote:I don't concern myself with the in and out details of smoking, sorry

But comments like the one above just scream " my way is the only way".

When did I say what my way is? I don't want myself, anyone I know, my parrots, or anyone's parrots to have to breath smoke but otherwise I couldn't care less if someone wants to do that to themselves in their own privacy.

Read my statement again in whole and in context: "I don't concern myself with the in and out details of smoking, sorry. Parrots do not belong around smoking, period."

Parrots don't belong around smoking. What you do to ensure that, I don't care. If you are never smoking around them or touching them with traces of nicotine and whatever else is a byproduct, then the parrots aren't around the smoking. I am not concerned with the details of how and what you do. Either the parrots' well being is sacrificed or it isn't. If you stand in a doorway and the draft sucks it back into the house, you could just as well be smoking in the house. If you are smoking on the moon for all I care and come back to the house without a trace, the parrots wouldn't be around smoking, period. All I'm saying is you either are affecting your parrots by smoking in some vicinity of them or not. You can stand behind a glass wall and smoke and if it doesn't reach your parrot, it doesn't matter. I explained that I don't care about these details and that I didn't want to discuss them. All I wanted to leave everyone with was "Parrots do not belong around smoke, period." I'll leave you to worry about the details.

But mark my words, knowing how fragile avian respiratory systems are, anyone who smokes or contains traces of smoke/nicotine around their parrots, I will call a cruel and heartless asshole.

If your parrot is not affected (and there is a difference between perception of affected like standing in the doorway, vs. actually not affected), then your personal away-from-parrot habits are really off topic and irrelevant to a parrot forum.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby oknuma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Michael wrote:I don't ban anyone for stating their opinion respectfully.

and i appreciate that so thank you.

I do see where you are comign from. I personally think that from what I have read you are much more able of choosing words that dont give off that "hollier than thou" impression.

I dont want to hijack this and make it about something else though so will happily bow out of this with the knowledge that you only want what is best for the birds as do some of us smokers out there.
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby PRD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm

But mark my words, knowing how fragile avian respiratory systems are, anyone who smokes or contains traces of smoke/nicotine around their parrots, I will call a cruel and heartless asshole.

That's really black or white. I cant control the smoke comming in my house from the neighbours, or i would have to shut my windows, in which i would deny my birds the fresh air. By the time i notice the (light) smell of cigarette it's already in the house, so therefore i am an asshole.
Im sure if u would take your bird outside u will put him in a position that traces of cigarette or other smoke can enter his respitory system, how small/little the trace will be. Good chance u dont even smell it, or when u smell it u go away to prevent nicotine to enter his resp. system. By that time he already inhaled some. Does that make un an asshole?
If a friend comes over who smokes, how can i be sure he/she is not containing any nicotine on him/her, potentially harmfull for my birds?
I'm sure if u would measure the air in the city(especially the big city's), and i dont mean on 1 day but the whole year round, u would find that especially in the summer the air aint as fresh as u thought.
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:04 pm

We can only do our best. I'm referring to someone smoking in the house or smoking outside and then touching the birds after. I try really hard, I usually don't open windows that face the street where smokers (& car fumes) are more prevalent. I don't let smokers in my house or touch the bird. When we are outside, I do my best to carry and keep her away from smokers. The air outside is more diluted so unless you stand right in the exhaust from a smoker, it is usually less severe than smoking in a house. I cannot control everything but I do my best to the extent that I can.

Of course living in a big city, the air is bound to be more polluted and there is nothing I can do about that and moving isn't an option. They key is to do your best on things you can control because there will be things out of your control that will happen anyway. I will say that I was really agitated when someone lit up and started smoking at a childrens' playground where I was taking Kili. Not only was it bad for the bird but it was also bad for the dozens of children present there. I think it is really rude for someone to do that. I would have probably gone over and complained, however that would involve dragging the parrot along with me and imposing more smoke on her so that would have really been counter productive. Instead, we just shifted to a different area of the park or upwind.

I stand by my statement. If someone purposefully subjects their parrot to a preventable toxin, then I continue to hold that feeling.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby phutch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 am

Michael

I concur. :thumbsup:
As I've stated on a different topic, and you can tell who these people are, they have birds as a status symbol they think they can throw them in a cage throw in some seed and water maybe change their substrate and too hell with their other needs or wants. I can do what I want, when I want, and where I want.

I've seen the outcome of parrots that have been exposed to smoke and nicotene. Cockatoos aren't supposed to be nicotene yellow. Macaw's that have been so revved up by the nicotene that they have overpreened themselves until their feather follicles have been so damaged that their feathers won't grow back.

There is a time and a place for everything, be respectful of your responsibilities. They can't tell their people not to touch them after smoking or changing the oil in the car or anything else.......
phutch
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Goffins cockatoo
Yellow Collared Mini Macaw
African Grey
Flight: No

Postby PRD » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:46 am

In general, with all the diseases we can transfer these days, it is wise to wash your hands/disinfect more often, especially if u are a birdowner, not only after smoking or changing oil.
Last year the mexican flu was in the news. At work we got disinfectants, managers began to emphasis the need to wash hands more and disinfect more often. I noticed the difference between hygiene between people. Some people are more hygienic then others despite all the empasis.
What i am saying is that wheter u smoke/change oil or not, there are more dangers we can't see so it would be wise anyway to wash hands more/pay more attention to cleaning/hygiene.
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:39 am

I agree that handwashing is important, but even more so when we have been outside and might have come in contact with other birds or their droppings, feathers, etc. There are very few diseases that can be transmitted bird-human and vice versa, but quite a lot that can go from, say, pigeons to our pets. And after handling food -- E. coli and salmonella can infect parrots. Uh, and after using the restroom, but that should go without saying. Shouldn't it?

We require handwashing or hand sanitizer before anyone can handle Scooter.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby PRD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:10 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:I agree that handwashing is important, but even more so when we have been outside and might have come in contact with other birds or their droppings, feathers, etc. There are very few diseases that can be transmitted bird-human and vice versa, but quite a lot that can go from, say, pigeons to our pets. And after handling food -- E. coli and salmonella can infect parrots. Uh, and after using the restroom, but that should go without saying. Shouldn't it?

We require handwashing or hand sanitizer before anyone can handle Scooter.

I agree with u. 1 of the first things i do when i come home, doesnt matter where ive been, is change my clothes, and cover my hair. Not only for their hygiene, but also for mine :mrgreen:
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Postby alight15 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:57 pm

I've learned to kinda walk off any "smells" lately...
my budgie does seem to be affected after I have been chopping onions/cooking (with plastic food gloves so it's not on my hands)Admittedly,it causes even my nose to sting a bit,but with just coming in contact with the same clothes I wore while doing this,he makes his frustrated screeching(not sure how to describe it)and shakes it's head and tries to rub it's beak/seer on things. :amazon:

So,after cooking something that involves some sort of spices,showering,using body sprays,etc
I've been trying to walk around outside on the driveway till I feel I've dulled the scents,hasn't been working as well I hoped with the bodyspray ,though it's better than nothing.
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars