Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Horrible Morning Training Session

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Horrible Morning Training Session

Postby Electic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Every morning the training sessions are awful, mixed with pinning, flapping and vocalizations that she doesn't enjoy doing this are involved, but for some reason, the night time session, she is ready to go, willingly doing everything I ask, what could be the problem and how do I address it?

Training Diet
11:30 AM: Training Session - Treats used: Sunflower, almonds, pine nuts

8:00 PM: Training Session - Treats used: Sunflower, almonds, pine nuts
Food bowl after training: Fruit and vegetables, and harrison's high potency formula

I don't give a food bowl in the morning anymore to see if that will fix the issue, perhaps I can give a food bowl in the morning and eliminate the other food bowl at night?
Electic
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: Horrible Morning Training Session

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I have no idea what you're doing and it doesn't sound like you do either. I would urge you to start by reviewing your goals and for what purpose you are doing all this. Then go back to basics and slowly work on establishing a suitable food management routine. Sounds like you're trying to get too much too fast and it's only backfiring.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Electic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Absolutely not, I had Chris Harris come over and work with her, I just got off the phone and he said to manage the food a little more to the point where she actually is hungry in the mornings. She does a very good job in the night sessions but not so much in the mornings, I might of just been over feeding her at night without realizing.

By the way Michael, there are a little more polite ways of giving advice instead of coming off so rude and harsh just because you have a bit more knowledge about parrots.
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm

No no. Seriously. What is your purpose? What are you trying to achieve? Overworking an inexperienced bird is quite likely contrary to your purpose. You really need to think through why you are training and what you are trying to achieve with it.

I'm a very strong proponent of training but I also believe in balance. Food management only works well in conjunction with a goal oriented and determined training approach. Starving the bird and trying to get it to do something it doesn't know doesn't build a sound relationship.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Electic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Michael wrote:No no. Seriously. What is your purpose? What are you trying to achieve? Overworking an inexperienced bird is quite likely contrary to your purpose. You really need to think through why you are training and what you are trying to achieve with it.

I'm a very strong proponent of training but I also believe in balance. Food management only works well in conjunction with a goal oriented and determined training approach. Starving the bird and trying to get it to do something it doesn't know doesn't build a sound relationship.

My main purpose to the trick training is to have her be a bird, I mainly am focusing on flight recall which she enjoys thoroughly. Another thing that would give me and her personal enjoyment is being able to take her outside without her being afraid, which is another thing I'm working on with carrier desensitizing. I'm also trying to build a forever relationship with her. Chris basically told me not to overfeed which I do fairly often because I have a fear that I may be starving her, I weigh her daily to make sure she's not losing weight drastically, he said to basically to a tablespoon of food until you see changes in her motivation level in the mornings, that's my only problem, she'll do everything willingly at night, she's a quick learner, I had her recalling on the third day, retrieving in 3 days as well, she is completely okay with misting after 7 days, and she goes in and out of her carrier willingly now as well. I do have goals that I have set with her, but the only thing is the motivation levels in the mornings, I, by all means would never do weight management with my bird of any sort, I just need to find a happy medium with her food intake so her motivation levels stays the same for both training sessions.
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:29 pm

She may just not be a morning bird. Some birds need some time to wake up. Don't automatically think it's only about food. And remember that you're not doing training just for the sake of training but that it is done for long term goals. If the training isn't bringing you toward them then you must rethink doing it.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Electic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Indeed, lights are on for about 1-2 hours before training begins. But you're right, that is a possibility, it also does seem that her instincts to go and find a dark corner are a lot stronger in the mornings than at night. she is definitely hormonal and likes to role play 'nesting' what do you suggest I do? Just have one training session at night?
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby marie83 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:37 pm

One training session a day is plenty. Its no good trying to train when your birds uncooprative for whatever reason as you risk undoing all the good work you have done.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Electic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm

The strange thing is, she still will do what is asked of her but she lets me know she isn't too happy doing them, whereas the night time, she is absolutely enthralled and you can see the happiness on her face, as well as anticipation as to what comes next.
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

What's the rush? So do one session a day... When it's a pet rather than a circus performer, you can take your time and enjoy it rather than trying to meet deadlines.
Michael
Macaw

Return to Parrot Trick Training