Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hand held Steam Cleaners for cage? UPDATE: Review Added

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Hand held Steam Cleaners for cage? UPDATE: Review Added

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:08 am

I'm considering getting a steam cleaner for deep cleaning my cage. Has anyone used these and what are the pros and cons? Do they clean well? Does the steam cleaner remove dirt and grime completely or just soften it up so you can wipe it off after? Also do you add any cleaner to it or simply water? Thanks!
Last edited by Pomlover2586 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Re: Hand held Steam Cleaners for cage?

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:28 am

I have one. Actually I have several. First keep in mind that there are two different products sold under the term "steam cleaner." You've got carpet cleaners which don't actually get hot enough to make steam and depend on chemical detergents and then you've got actual steam cleaners. For the cage you obviously want to make sure it's one that makes actual steam and not the carpet cleaning kind.

I would not use or expect to use a steam cleaner for "deep cleaning my cage." For deep cleaning you either gotta take it outside and power wash it or use some elbow grease. The steam cleaner is best for spot cleaning and cleaning out hard to reach indents. For example, poop that gets into the grooves of bark on a perch. You can just blast it right out with the steam cleaner. It will soften it, blow it out, and sterilize that spot. The process is quite slow though. You need to hold the thing and blast from different angles for about a minute to get only a few inches of surface cleaned. The good news is you can do most of it hands free and just let the machine do most of the work. However, to clean the entire cage solely relying on this device would take hours.

For these reasons I do recommend one as a supplemental spot cleaning device but it's expensive and shouldn't be top priority until you have all other sorts of cleaning supplies in use.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Michael- thank you so much for your detailed response. I'm glad to know that the steam cleaner isn't a quick clean item- I was under the impression that it generally was. I use non scented baby wiped for daily cleaning of Iago's cage and it does a great job removing poop and food debris. I also have Poop-Off spray that I use for harder stuck on messes. I'm trying to figure out the best method for cleaning harder to get areas- such as in between seed guards etc.

I live in an apartment so taking the cage outside and power washing it isn't an option right now :( I'm trying to figure out what products I can use to clean/sanitize his cage without creating a giant watery mess all over the carpet.

What would you suggest? I have read water/vinegar is a good combo- do you simply squirt that onto paper and then wipe? Any help appreciated!
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:20 pm

I use this for cleaning "accidents" on the carpet:

http://www.bissell.com/spotbot-pet-deep-cleaner

Just fill the liquids and set it over the mess and turn it on. It scrubs, soaks, and sucks the mess away in about 5 minutes.

I do use my steam cleaner in the cage for seed guards, perches, toys, and hard to reach areas. It's just not the solution for cleaning all the cage bars, grates, and stuff.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:01 pm

What is the solution that you use for cleaning bars grates etc?
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Pomlover2586 wrote:What is the solution that you use for cleaning bars grates etc?

Soap, water, and elbow grease.
Michael
Macaw

Postby marie83 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm in a flat too and can't lug the cage outside for a pressure wash but I find using brushes helps clean it better than a cloth and water and soap.

I find a cheap toothbrush gets into the corners really well.
I also use a larger brush for the cage bars, but beware the spray and cover up anything you don't want it getting on with an old bedsheet or something.
Once a month or every other month I'll disinfect the cages after I've used soap and water. I use a spray bottle to ensure it gets where it's needed then I give it a quick wipe over with a towel after, then leave to dry for a couple of hours before putting the birds back in.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby cml » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 pm

We're getting a steam cleaner tomorrow, will get back with a review :).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby cml » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 pm

cml wrote:We're getting a steam cleaner tomorrow, will get back with a review :).

The review:

Its not worth its money. While it wasnt expensive, about 30$, I dont think it was a worthwhile buy. Ive tried cleaning different areas with it, to try different kinds of schmuts and my conclusion is this:

Pro:
Its great at sterilizing perches and cages, and will disintegrate poops but they willl need to be cleaned off with a sponge afterwards.

Con:
Its quite awfully bad at cleaning surfaces, for which its somewhat intended, and doesnt work well overall.

In conclusion, it will work for sterilization of perches and the cage, but is a bad cleaning tool and not worth its price.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Pomlover2586 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Well I bit the bullet and purchased a handheld steam cleaner today. This is the one I purchased: http://www.sears.com/hoover-enhanced-clean-disinfecting-handheld-steam-cleaner/p-02036111000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7 I'm planning to try it out tomorrow. I'll post a review once I know how well it works :)
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Next

Return to Housing