Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Afraid of the outside

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Afraid of the outside

Postby Electic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Hey guys, so I've had a lot of improvements since I've reduced the sessions to once a day at night, I've realized Michael was right and Shyla just wasn't a morning bird, but anyways, since I'm over that obstacle, lately she's been more stationary and more willing to sit next to me, every once in a while her instincts will kick in and she'll go search for a nesting area, not much I can do about that, but here's another problem I'm faced with and maybe you guys can help.

So, Shyla has developed a fear of going outside, it used to be as bad as even approaching the door, she's okay with the door, once she was out though she would tighten her feathers all the way, and her discomfort was obvious, it was to the point where she had no clue I was holding a sunflower in my hand.

Now, she approaches the door calmly, I open it and she's calm, occasionally she will get a bit of a scare but she'll calm after a couple seconds after I reassure her. Now she also takes seeds out of my hand when we are outside, although the fear is still obvious in her eyes and body language, I was wondering what else is it I could do to make her more comfortable outside besides just giving sunflowers while she is outside?

Thanks for the help everyone, you've helped a lot in the previous posts I had!
Electic
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: Afraid of the outside

Postby Electic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Oh, to clarify, she's gotten to that point by me giving her seeds while on the way to the door and backing up once she stopped taking seeds from me, and it got to the point where she takes seeds outside and isn't afraid of approaching the door anymore, she will do body language and will occasionally try to fly back inside, it's quite strange, to me at least, she is okay in only one spot, it's a fenced in patio with an overhead tent sort of thing, so she will sort of relaxed in that area, but once we get up and start walking, that's when the panic sets in, she's tried flying off a couple times but thankfully I had a good hold of her, I know it's just a fight or flight response but yeah, any thoughts?
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby marie83 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Is she in a cage or on a harness when you take her out?
How long do you take her out for?
What is the environment outside the door? busy main road? quiet garden?
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Electic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

marie83 wrote:Is she in a cage or on a harness when you take her out?
How long do you take her out for?
What is the environment outside the door? busy main road? quiet garden?

She is okay with a carrier, she is a lot more active inside a carrier which indicates that she isn't as afraid, not on a harness, I just have a firm grip on her foot and since I've gotten to the point where I know she'll fly if she's frightened, I can turn my hand with her direction so it doesn't put any stress on her feet, it's definitely a quiet garden, maybe a person or two may walk by but very unlikely, she definitely doesn't like people outside but people inside the house is completely fine with her.

I make sure to talk very calmly, since it is also very calm outside, but for some reason I just can't get her to ruffle those feathers and be calm.
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby marie83 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:22 pm

I strongly strongly suggest you stick with the carrier or harness train her. Keeping hold of her feet really isn't secure enough if something really really did frighten her, an unexpected loud noise for example- or if you tripped or something. Accidents happen but you can reduce the risks.

I think carriers tend to make a bird feel more secure as they are enclosed so they feel less vulnerable.
I do have an idea of what I would do in your shoes but I'm not 100% sure I want to offer it at this stage, I'm in two minds about telling you because I really think you need to concentrate you efforts on reducing the risk of accidental escape first- eg accepting that she only goes out in her carrier or by training her to wear a harness.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Electic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 pm

marie83 wrote:I strongly strongly suggest you stick with the carrier or harness train her. Keeping hold of her feet really isn't secure enough if something really really did frighten her, an unexpected loud noise for example- or if you tripped or something. Accidents happen but you can reduce the risks.

I think carriers tend to make a bird feel more secure as they are enclosed so they feel less vulnerable.
I do have an idea of what I would do in your shoes but I'm not 100% sure I want to offer it at this stage, I'm in two minds about telling you because I really think you need to concentrate you efforts on reducing the risk of accidental escape first- eg accepting that she only goes out in her carrier or by training her to wear a harness.

I'm currently harness training, she will wear it but she's not patient when I take it off, she actually looks forward to the harness, and maybe I do just have to accept that she is more comfortable in a carrier, but what did you have to say that you didn't want to?
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Electic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Electic wrote:
marie83 wrote:I strongly strongly suggest you stick with the carrier or harness train her. Keeping hold of her feet really isn't secure enough if something really really did frighten her, an unexpected loud noise for example- or if you tripped or something. Accidents happen but you can reduce the risks.

I'm currently harness training, she will wear it but she's not patient when I take it off, she actually looks forward to the harness, and maybe I do just have to accept that she is more comfortable in a carrier, but what did you have to say that you didn't want to?

Oh, and she is carrier trained, she will willingly go in and out on command, so that isn't a problem, but the harness is taking longer than I expected.
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Postby ginger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 pm

If you keep taking her outside without being in a carrier you won't have to worry about harness training anymore because sooner or later you're bird will be gone. Bad idea to have any bird outside without a harness or at least in a carrier. You wouldn't believe how many birds come into my rescue because the owner thought the bird would never fly off when they were outside. You best reconsider what you're doing or you'll be one of the unlucky people with a lost bird.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby Electic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:23 am

ginger wrote:If you keep taking her outside without being in a carrier you won't have to worry about harness training anymore because sooner or later you're bird will be gone. Bad idea to have any bird outside without a harness or at least in a carrier. You wouldn't believe how many birds come into my rescue because the owner thought the bird would never fly off when they were outside. You best reconsider what you're doing or you'll be one of the unlucky people with a lost bird.

I understand the concern and I can see how some may find it irresponsible, I'm aware of the risk of her flying off, I'm willing to take those risks in the attempt of strengthening the bond between me and my beloved bird, it would be indeed a tragedy if she were to fly off. She is carrier trained and harness training is in the works.

Thanks for the concern and I will put your feedback into consideration.
Electic
Cockatiel

Red Sided Eclectus

Return to Parrot Trick Training