Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Senegal

Postby shock&awe92 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm currently looking to purchase a Senegal parrot, I'm a first time bird owner, from what I understand from doing my research owning a Senegal is a good match / choice for first timers, I'm thinking within the next month I'll be buying one, I already bought " birds for dummies " and its very helpful , I own my own home with my wife , we have 2 cats and 1 dog who is blind , our cats are pretty mellow, although I'd make damn sure the cats stay far away from the cage and when he / she is out of the cage the bird will be supervised at all times, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Coop :cockatoo:
shock&awe92
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None - Want to purchase a Senegal parrot. 3s
Flight: No

Re: Senegal

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Well you've definitely come to the right place for information about Senegals! Just in the last few weeks people have asked the same questions so you'd greatly benefit from reading those and older discussions on the subject.

While the Senegal Parrot may be regarded as a less problematic or difficult parrot than many others, it is by no means easy. In other words owning a parrot is never easy. I hope you can strongly consider all of these things when choosing whether to get a parrot or not at all and what kind to get.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=348
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=768

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8704
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8704
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8532
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8872
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8847
http://flyingparrotsinside.com

Let me just say outright that a bird is not a compatible pet with a cat or dog and it is probably best that you reconsider if all of the above hasn't convinced you already. Thanks.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Grey_Moon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Unfortunately Michael is right.

I think, however the biggest deciding factor in whether or not you're cut out for a parrot in general is:

Do you have kids? Want them?

Parrots and kids don't mix usually. Particularly when the parrot comes first. The parrot will be (and always will be) a jealous first born who never develops past toddlerhood.

If you do, do you want to continue your parenting roles to a bird who is forever a toddler?

Parrots are wild, messy and undomesticated animals. They're extremely needy and complicated.
I love my grey---but she's a huge responsibility---not a pet, but a child in all ways.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby pennyandrocky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:13 pm

are you going to allow full flight? if not i'm with micheal. i have a dog and a cat but my birds have full flight and the birds came first so when i got a kitten and then a puppy they were babies and raised with birds so it's what they are used to. a blind dog must be alot of work too and birds require a ton of attention.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby shock&awe92 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes I will allow full flight and when I allow this of course the cats will be contained in their room with door closed until of course such time I put the parrot back in the cage, yes I will put the parrot first, yes our blind dog is alot of work but not so much as you might think he gets around pretty good and Is extremely calm, do I have what it takes to raise and bond with such Parrot, ABSOLUTELY !
shock&awe92
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None - Want to purchase a Senegal parrot. 3s
Flight: No

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 am

I'd like to strongly suggest that, if you (or anyone!) will be a very first time bird owner, you look into a parrot adoption organization. Even though I grew up with birds, we got our guy through Phoenix Landing here on the East Coast. What's beautiful about that organization is multifactorial. Obviously they help birds in need. But beyond that, they have tons of free education events every weekend that teach you things about bird ownership that books and even the internet doesn't. Once you complete the required courses, you are then able to foster a parrot. Fostering is great because you get the experience of owning a bird but without the need for the decades' long commitment actually buying from a breeder can cause. Volunteers from the organization check in with you periodically to make sure things are going okay with your new housemate. If things aren't well, they provide guidance to hopefully smooth out the kinks. If things don't work out between the bird and your other pets or family, they can find the bird another foster home until it gets adopted. Another plus of fostering/adopting is that you get to know the bird's temperament from the beginning. When you buy a bird, you have no idea if it'll be anxiety-prone or aggressive or a plucker etc. Sure you can usually train most negative behaviors out of birds. But it takes a *lot* of time and patience, which most people just don't have. Much easier to find a bird matched to your needs from the get-go. Good luck!
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Return to Introductions