Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Great progression with Shyla!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Great progression with Shyla!

Postby Electic » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:07 am

I thought the wonderful people of the parrot forum would be interested to know that my
Progression with Shyla is phenomenal, she targets in flight, retrieves almost perfectly, waves almost
Perfectly and recalls perfectly, All this in about 1 month and 2 weeks, I'm going to take a leap and try to teach the lay on back, she generally is a bird that has problems
Keeping still so I think this will be te hardest trick for her to learn but will be worth it and I have so much confidence in her, she picked up wave in about 5 minutes and now I'm adding a queue to it.

I feel my bond with her is the best it's been so far, after training sessions she demands kisses which is rare for the female eclectus since they have such horrible reputations but Shyla is the sweetest. What a reward it would be to have her completely trust me to have her lay on her back, I'm estimating 2-3 week learning time for her to lay on her back since it took about that long for retrieve. I could be wrong since she is picking up new tricks so fast.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think and any advice is welcome!
Electic
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: Great progression with Shyla!

Postby cml » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:41 am

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

How comfortable is shyle with you touching her back? That will be a key element in her laying on her back. Work slowly and I am sure you will make it work =)!

Oh and we need pictures of your eclectus, I think they are such awesome looking birds :)!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Re: Great progression with Shyla!

Postby Electic » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:34 pm

cml wrote:Sounds like you are doing a great job!

How comfortable is shyle with you touching her back? That will be a key element in her laying on her back. Work slowly and I am sure you will make it work =)!

Oh and we need pictures of your eclectus, I think they are such awesome looking birds :)!

Shyla and I have quite a unique bond, I've known her since she was a few weeks old and would visit her every day while she was growing up, as she came home she was used to be putting my hands anywhere I felt necessary, although she may protest and not like it very much, she's never bitten me since I've had her, she will let me touch her back with no fuss, and sometimes leans herself back and I swing her around, she seems to enjoy it, I've tried teaching it before but she never got to the point of letting go.

As for pictures, I have a facebook that you guys might enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/mohamad.vox

Plenty of photos with me and her!
Electic
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus

Return to Parrot Trick Training