Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lost African Grey--Flew Away---Stupid, Stupid Mistake

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Lost African Grey--Flew Away---Stupid, Stupid Mistake

Postby ginger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:05 pm

If you seriously think that your bird is in your neighbor's home then I would not even hesitate to call the police. Find out your rights! Get that bird back and then follow the advice on here from everyone else to train the bird to wear a harness. Don't clip! It isn't a solution!

If that doesn't work then go back and tell him you are offering a reward for what the bird is worth, be it $1000 or more, and if he has it you may convince him to give it to you in exchange for the reward. Sometimes greed will win over a dishonest person.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)
Flight: No

Postby liz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:18 pm

By law the bird is your "possesion". If you believe he is there have the police go and check it.

If they have him and don't know how to care for him it could be doing damage. Don't hesitate.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Karma » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks Michael!
This is something I will regret for the rest of my days, even if we are able to recover her safely. Hard lesson learned and my heart is broken for her, not for me.

Michael wrote:I'm sorry but you're not stupid for not clipping the wings but for taking the parrot outside without adequate precautions.

I sincerely hope you can get the bird back but not clip its wings and condemn it to cage imprisonment or clipping for life. The bird did nothing wrong and clipping its wings for your mistake is about the most inhumane and terrible retaliation you could possibly do. Please either solve the problems and make sure you are capable of caring for a flighted parrot from here on out or else find it a different home that will. Neither I nor your bird will forgive you if you clip its wings for your own mistake. No hard feelings, please find the bird and do the right thing.

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw; Congo African Grey

Postby marie83 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:01 am

Did you call the police yet?
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Karma » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:28 pm

At this moment we have other neighbors (that we trust) watching every move they make and when they are not at home they are going around the house and listening. We are doing the same. We have a friend on the police force that is ready to take action but would like us to get a little more assurance that she may be there.

It is slowly approaching 72 hours since she flew. We are at a loss of what to do next! Over 300 flyers out at the point and everyone notified, all forums and social messages spreading the word.

I can't imagine what losing a child must feel like... but if I had to guess it would be similar to this but would have more support in our search. [not comparing the loss to that of a child but it sure hurts pretty dadgum bad].

Postby Karma » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am

Yes, we called the police. They need more evidence that they have her!

marie83 wrote:Did you call the police yet?

Postby marie83 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Thats ridiculous, its their job to be detectives not yours :S

Keep trying other methods anyway, keep pestering the shelters, posters, radio stations, offer rewards etc. Send an e-mail to Mr Hayward telling him your suspicions and asking for advice etc.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 am

Why can't the police go to the house under the premis that the neighbors have heard strange noises coming from the house. All they would have to do is call the birds name and get an answer.

If they do find him - have them arrested for bird napping. If you have fliers up then they have stolen your property.

Get on the police. Make enough phone calls or visit them until they do it. That is your baby.

DO IT
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Karma » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:36 pm

We did not want to limit ourselves to thinking (without hard proof) that she is that close to home. We received a call this morning that a lady thought she saw her Saturday in her yard. This ladies house is 1.32 [flight] miles from us. We have fliers out there too. '

A local news channel contacted me this morning and they are doing a story about it to help bring her home.

However, we are still watching the neighbors will take the right actions against them if we get hard evidence that they have her.

Postby Karma » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:14 pm

We have not received any further reports of sightings of Suzie. We expanded our flyer postings and continue to spread the news.

Thanks so much for everyone's support! I don't plan to post again until we find her. My first grandson was born last night and he is a true blessing! We have adopted another CAG that we will bring home in about a week. We still hope to bring Suzie home as well.

Thanks to you all!
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight