Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can my Green Cheek Conures over Eat?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Can my Green Cheek Conures over Eat?

Postby bmsweb » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:54 am

Hi Guys,

I did a little more research on the subject of Nestboxes and Tents etc.

According to the Book "A Guide to Popular Conures", it states "For a Conure, settling in means becoming familiar with its new surroundings and secure a roost. Conures unlike many other parrots, generally favour a nestbox or log for this purpose"

entrancedbymyGCC: As far as tents go, the book does mention Conures have been known to lay eggs in them! The book doesn't mention the tents necessarily encouraging breeding behaviour. I would imagine its like Michael said if its there, it wouldn't necessarily discourage it.

BTW: Michael the taming method works a treat even with a bird that's over a year old. The male is now safe to handle! Thanks :)

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 am

Glad it works well for you. Just remember that the training may be quick but it takes time to develop the real trust.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:49 am

Yes, I think maybe one of the more important points here is that conures, or at least Green Cheeks, seem to live in their cavities all the time, not just when breeding. At least, I am pretty sure that's the case.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby bmsweb » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:48 pm

entrancedbymyGCC, Yes it sounds like this is what the breeder was talking about. Mind you mine still haven't used it.

Michael, I know what you mean. It took Jazz around two months to develop a high level of trust. The fact that I handled the male yesterday and he didn't even attempt to bite is a big step. He is still REALLY jumpy. When he's on my hand you can see he's looking for an escape route :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby bmsweb » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:31 am

Just a quick update on the Green Cheek Conures. They have been sleeping in the Nest Box for a week now. They sometimes use it in the day for a nap, but at night time they disappear for the whole night.
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby alight15 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 am

er...well yes birds can over eat, ...I suggest weighing as the best method all you have to do look out for it and give them appropriate exercise..but one thing to watch out for is folds its..what i can only describe as "Abs" visible on obese birds(but that's like if they're way,way to fat). but i've never had any experience with conures,so the eating all the time thing has no impression on me
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars

Postby ttchandler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello, I have a kakariki parrot,, he seems to eat a lot too. I just got him two weeks ago. But I give him seed, millet seed an fruit. He chows down, I guess we have to just keep an eye on them, huh??
ttchandler
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Kakariki
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 am

Is it a baby? If so, you need to handfeed and/or supply him with soft food twice a day (he might be hungry and not eating enough on its own).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet