Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What do i feed my Indian ringneck????

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

What do i feed my Indian ringneck????

Postby Niccijt05 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am

Hi,

Ive taken on my brother's IRN and he's currently on a seed diet, which looking at it, looks very dull indeed.

Is there parrot food in the uk i can get which is nutritional, is very good for them and make them healthy?.

I feed him fresh apple, ive put kiwi, melon and bits in but it looks like he hasn't had melon etc before as he didn't touch those, only apple.

Also is there anything i can buy to put his fresh food on to go in the cage as it falls through the bars and it doesn't look good in his food bowl, mixed with seed.

I hope you can help, I cant hand feed him yet as he is new to me and is quite shy of me at the moment.

Also what food shouldn't i give him or over feed him with? i.e. nuts etc?

Thanks for reading
Nicci & Pauly xx :irn:
Niccijt05
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: What do i feed my Indian ringneck????

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 am

feed them heaps of different mixed veggies they love celery.to many sunflower seeds are unhealthy for you parrot so its best to get a mix without sunflower seeds or pick most of them out.nuts 2 or 3 times a week is ok.the best thing for your bird would be a pellt diet replace those sunflower seeds with pellets because you need to slowly introduce them to your bird because at first he probably wont like them at first and you can get the pellets and special parrot mixes at your local pet shop

no matter what never give your bird avocado or chocolate if they injest either of those they could die within hours its like poison to them
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby Niccijt05 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 am

thats brilliant ill do that then, is there any good books i should purchase being a novice?

xx
Niccijt05
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck

Postby marie83 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

I would go with harrisons or tops. both you can get from northern parrots, midland parrots also do harrisons, its expensive but I buy a massive bag then freeze it, it lasts ages that way n works out cheaper than you would think. Feed fruit by all means but try to include more veg than fruit. Sprouted seeds are way more nutritional than dry so I include those a few times a week.

There are some excellent guides online with ideas on converting your birds to eat new foods. I used Liz wilsons guide which worked a treat for my birds but I had to tweek it for Harlie as she never used to touch food if it was damp- not even seeds.

I'll try get you the links to look at later but they all come up easily on google if I forget lol.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:47 pm

It's ok you won't need books if you need help with anything research it online or post on this forum and someone will always reply.i own 7 birds and I've never read any books so,etchings you just learn from watching your birds
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby GreenWing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Kudos to you for giving your bird fresh, healthy foods. Tiki loves apple, as well. :mrgreen:

For a list of fresh foods to give your bird, see this post post, and this one too.

You can most certainly feed your parrot nuts; some walnuts and almonds are a good choice and your parrot is sure to enjoy them.

Don't give your parrot too much sunflower seed (it's addictive to them and if they get too much of it they won't eat anything else) and limit fresh citris fruits such as oranges.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby spiral » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I feed my parrot which is a 6 year old IRN, HARRISSONS PELLETS AT THE MOMENT. She also likes sweet potato and carrots fress sprouted chickpeas and brocolli.

The need a diet with lots of leafy green vegtibles they love fresh kayle, and mine loves carrot also.

i think you should read parrots for dummies by nicki mustacki it gives a good basic guide to parrot keeping and potental problems.

aLSO THE PARROT COMPANYON BY ROWSMARY LOW IS USEFUL. GOODLUCK :thumbsup: :irn:
spiral
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck

Postby spiral » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 pm

spiral wrote:I feed my parrot which is a 6 year old IRN, HARRISSONS PELLETS AT THE MOMENT. She also likes sweet potato and carrots fress sprouted chickpeas and brocolli.

The need a diet with lots of leafy green vegtibles they love fresh kayle, and mine loves carrot also.

i think you should read parrots for dummies by nicki mustacki it gives a good basic guide to parrot keeping and potental problems.

aLSO THE PARROT COMPANYON BY ROWSMARY LOW IS USEFUL. GOODLUCK :thumbsup: :irn:

I forgott to mention that 24 parrot has many good parrot products its a u.k site and they sell parrot food.
spiral
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet