Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bring out 2 birds at the same time

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Bring out 2 birds at the same time

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 pm

I have a lot of birds and they all want attention so I want them to be able to tolerate being around each other so I can bring them out 2 at the same time but they all hate each other

Any ideas?
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Bring out 2 birds at the same time

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 pm

it can be done my :corella: hates my :gcc: but she tolerates him now. first they can't be near anything that belongs to either bird. put them in a neutral area with you close by to make sure no one gets hurt.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby cml » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Its a long process to make to birds behave when out together, at least it can be.
For us, the problem hasnt been that Stitch and Leroy dont like eachother, because they absolutely love each other, but rather the fights that occured every now and then.

Its taken alot of time, effort and planning to make it work, but now they can be out together for 2-4hours at a time without fighting at all, but just hanging out, preening and playing. Its awesome, and very rewarding to see, but it has taken a lot of work.

They are now only out together in the bird room, where they feel safe, whereas we tried to have them loose in the house at first (individually they can be where they want). The plan is to slowly increase their area, but my guess is this will take a long time. Its taken me about 10 months to get this to work as well as it is now ;).

Dont give up, it can be done!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby charlieandkiwi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Right now I'm working on this with my green cheek conure and my white eared conure and I haven't been completely successful at getting them to hang out peacefully for long periods of time (although they do seem to be getting slightly better), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I use my white eared, very fast learning, and extremely treat motivated conure to model trick learning for the green cheek. Basically, he does a trick first, gets a treat, and while he's eating it, the green cheek tries it. In this way, they can hang out pretty close and not try to fight because they are distracted with noms.

I also watch them constantly and am always prepared to break them up if they get too close or either are looking aggressive. I don't think it's a good idea to ever let your birds fight each other because it makes them harder to be peaceful in the future. It's like the biting issue- always avoid getting bit until you've reached the point where they don't want to bite. Plus, birds can harm each other.

Be careful.
charlieandkiwi
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: I have a 4-5 year old green cheeked conure and an 8 year old white eared conure.

Postby Pricey_boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 am

its hard with lorikeets they have dangerous bites there extremely terrotorial and theyre extremely fast
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Return to Parrot Trick Training