Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Which harness

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Which harness

Postby Bentley » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 pm

@ marie.... i got him from a breeder in stoke... a guy called dave, nice bloke
... and yeah i'll let you know how i get on, im ordering it tomorrow

@ LPolliard... thanks for the tip, makes alot of sense :thumbsup:
Bentley
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Tro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:31 pm

I thought you all may want to know I did gt a hold of the guys at the parrot university this is what I was told, hope this helps:

Hello Kristen,

The extra small may work. The collar slipping down onto the wings would be the limiting factor. If it is too loose a wing could possible slip out, but it would take a little work for the bird to get the harness all the way off.

If the petite almost works you can make the collar slightly larger by gently popping two of the weld spots that create the belt loop in the front. This would add about 1/8 inch which is actually a significant amount on that size bird.

Unfortunately there is not much room on the body of a small bird to fit a harness so the collar is usually a little tight.

We can also make a custom harness for $20.00 if you need. We just finished a several thousand petite and extra small so the machines will not be set up for those sizes for another month so you would need to wait.

Best regards
Tro
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeck conure

Postby janetafloat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 am

Marie - have you tried the Petite on your 'tiel? Any thoughts on Petite or XSmall for a tiel?
:pied:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby marie83 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 am

janetafloat wrote:Marie - have you tried the Petite on your 'tiel? Any thoughts on Petite or XSmall for a tiel?
:pied:

No I haven't and tbh I don't think she will ever be tame enough to harness train. Harlie is medium built cockatiel and I wouldn't even risk the petite size if its too tight for my green cheek because she is most definitely larger in both head and body (the body part isn't as important because you can get the straps that go under the wings as big as you need to).
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby friend2parrots » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:16 pm

hi everyone on this thread - I also hope to be able to get a harness on my :gcc: . I have almost the same exact problem as marie: my Gcc has a big head, the neck loop of the petite is way too tight, i cant even get it on, and i tried the x-small, and its neck loop is huge. so i basically gave up because Aviator is the best brand out there. then my Gcc had his spook-out incident and we have since been occupied with confidence building, so I pretty much gave up, what with the sizing problem on the one hand, and his confidence problem on the other hand.

but now, i feel a little hopeful again - maybe once Ringo (my Gcc) improves, I could order the CUSTOM SIZED harness that the Parrot University described in Tro's post above. This would be SO cool - I'm assuming it would mean something like taping a ruler to a wall, placing your bird next to it, and taking a photo, and sending it off, so they could get a sense of how big your bird's head is, and try to make a harness for it. i think it might take a couple of hit or misses - but thank you Tro for sharing this info with us. it gives me renewed hope that my Gcc and I may one day enjoy the great outdoors together.

I also have a very cheerful and sweet bourke parakeet, who I know would love to spend the day outside with me. i have frequently thought of a harness for him but he hates having his body and wings handled, he only likes kisses on the tummy, neck scritches, and beak rubs. so I have never tried with him. but the size for him i imagine would be the petite.

anyway - want to wish you all luck with the harness, and I encourage you all to keep the rest of us posted on your progress!
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 pm

I used to have this problem, what I realised (someone told me) that you have to carefully strech the neck piece if it doesn't fit perfectly, don't be too worried about giving it a good pull from either side, and rubbing the material together to make it more plyable.

My Sennie's neck now fits perfectly, push your index finger against the front of the beak while holding and pulling the collar behind the back of the parrot's neck forward to take it off. That way your bird knows that it's beak being held means it's harness is coming off, it also makes it easier for you as it's head stays still which makes taking the harness off a lot easier.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 pm

To take off the head part of the harness, I always pull it towards the back of the head and hold the head still by holding my bird's beak between my thumb and finger.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks