Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toys!

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Toys!

Postby GizmoTheBird » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:05 am

i just bought 3 diffrent toys for my senegal, and he wants nothing to do with them(i even took him to the store and watched witch ones he responded to the best, but when i got them home he igores all of them), i was wondering who all makes their own toys and what items do u reccomend on using and where can u purchase them.
Gizmo-Senegal
GizmoTheBird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Toys!

Postby lzver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:15 am

It can be frustrating when you go out and spend money for toys that they show no interest in.

Give him some time to get used to them. I know Jessie, my Senegal, is always a little reluctant when I put new and different toys into his cage. Give yours a day or two to get used to them and I'm sure he'll start showing interest in them.

I've made a few toys using parts from older toys. Jessie loves the toys where blocks of wood are wrapped in colored paper, so I try to revive some older toys by doing that.

Laura
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:59 am

I agree about letting them get used to the toys for a day. But you can also buy smart by seeing which toys they love and which toys they aren't so crazy about. If they love shiny things, stock up on those. If they're not crazy about large wood block toys, only get one or two. My senegal loves shredding/nesting type toys so I'll be getting those pretty frequently.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:03 am

People also suggest to "play" with the toys yourself. Let the sennie see that you are enjoying the toy, then it too will want to enjoy with it.

It may just take time for them to get used to it. I bought my sennie on the weekend and he has a cage full of toys which I am not sure he has played with much, but then everything is new so I am being patient...
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, Scooter seems to "take to" some toys best if I put them in his cage for a few days, take them away for a few days, and then put them back.

I've started making some of my own as well, mostly re-using parts I already have.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby bmsweb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 pm

HyperD wrote:People also suggest to "play" with the toys yourself

I've found this worked without a doubt with my Cockatiel. He wasn't even interested in playing with the balls we purchased for him. So I had him on the table and I started playing with them myself and seemed to work.

Now having said that he loves Legos! My son likes putting legos together and Jazz our Cockatiel loves taking them apart. I think this is the case because my son is always playing with legos, so the bird wants to do the same. Jazz now has his own Lego Police car and green sports lego car. My son builds his own lego projects while Jazz takes apart the two cars and then waits for my son to put them back together again so he can take them appart. Its funny because he really works hard at it too.

If he has a choice between the balls etc and the Lego Cars, Legos win every time. I should video this one day.

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby kimbo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm

i bought a lovely toy for my sennie it had leather, wood and rubbery stuff, he wouldnt touch it in his cage so i dismantled it and now he cant get enough of it. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Postby Natacha » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Of course, I agree with letting the bird getting use to the toy.

If after a while, still nothing, take it away for a bit and then reintroduce it somewhere different, in a different fashion perhaps. I have toys that will not be played with in the cages but once taken out - total difference. Either being hung from a gym/perch or laid down on the table, there are different ways in offering a toy and some birds might like a way better than another.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY