Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

2 month old Pacific parrotlet being extremely loud

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

2 month old Pacific parrotlet being extremely loud

Postby Mecha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes, it's probably surprising to hear about a parrotlet being excessively loud. I am new to owning birds but I did do a fair bit of research on parrots and parrotlets before acquiring Carl. The first few days were alright, he chirped and trilled, but never very loud. I've no issue with noise, but the volume is a concern.

The last few days or so he started shrieking at the top of his lungs. A lot of parrotlet owners will probably say that parrotlets don't shriek, but mine will chirp at the very top of his lungs over and over and it's so loud that I can hear him outside my house from the street. I assume this is his contact call, but he does it even when I am in the room.

This call is so loud that when you're in the same room as him it's actually physically painful :( Parrotlets are considered good apartment birds by a lot of people but from my experience I may as well have gotten a macaw :(

I have been ignoring him entirely while he makes noise and praising him with millet when he is silent (we are still new to each other so verbal praise isn't as effective yet) but his behaviour has not changed. As for interaction, I clicker/target train him 3-4 times for 15-20 minutes daily and spend a good chunk of the day in the room often talking to him. He will often just start shrieking mid-conversation, forcing me to leave the room until he's quiet again (which can take up to a half hour).

I'm at my wit's end. If I can't train him out of this in the next 2 weeks (I move into an apartment at the end of this timeline) I will be forced to rehome him by my landlord.

It's not the fact that he makes noise, because most of his sounds are cute and not very loud, but when he shrieks it's just unbearable. They're not kidding when they say there's a full sized parrot living in these guys.
Mecha
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Pacific Parrotlet
Flight: No

Re: 2 month old Pacific parrotlet being extremely loud

Postby liz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Can you whistle? Replace the noise with a better noise.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:01 pm

See my reply here, it explains what Liz is reffering to.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9314
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby liz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Rambo yells MaMa. Myrtle just says Ma.
liz
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Elizebird » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm

liz wrote:Can you whistle? Replace the noise with a better noise.

I agree. I taught my 'too the only noise I'll respond to is a word of my choosing, a very pleasant sounding 'hello!' ;)
Tiger & Pantalaemon
Elizebird
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: F. NG Cockatiel
M. Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (eleonora)

Postby Bobioden » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 pm

I did tons of research before I got my Parrotlet, and was shocked at how loud he was. My roommate works out of the house and this bird did not shut-up all day long. He had tons of toys, great food, treats, but if you weren't in the same room 24/7 he never stopped screaming. I finally had to re-home him. His new owner was home with him all day and he eventually quieted down.

A video I make, turn the volume up to max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbrIIcAGY9g
Bobioden
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure

Postby terri » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm

2 months old is young for a bird [I got my sun conure at 2months and she would scream non stop like a wail]I figured out that she was not properly weaned yet.[Something to think about ] I also believe some birds may regress.Just because the breeder had her weaned when you got her doesnt mean the stress of the move to you cant make her change back.
terri
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Jenabee » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am

Mecha, I had the same problem (and still have sometimes) with my 2 year old Parrotlet, Marvin. Sometimes the noise IS loud enough to hurt my ear drums. I think others are right that he may not be properly weaned or is looking for his mother. This could be why he makes noise when left alone. My bird is the opposite-- if you leave him alone, he's quiet, but the minute he sees you-- oh boy-- LOUD! My SO works from home and had to move him in to the bedroom because when the bird could see him at his desk, he'd freak out and scream all day. He's fine in the bedroom and SO takes him out for at least a few hours a day while he's working if he's good. Now, Marvin was a rescue and we got him when he was a year old. He had a rough go, losing his mate early on and being re-homed once before us. He has become better with time (or maybe we're just used to him?) but it could be that he's sad and lonely. Perhaps he needs time to adjust to his new surroundings. Try leaving some music on for him-- or sometimes, for young birds, a little cozy fuzzy house can help them to feel safe (but make sure to remove it as they get older).

Stick with it. He's still young and as with all newer pets, you both will have an adjustment phase of getting to know one another :mrgreen:
Jenabee
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet

Postby GreenWing » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Agreed with the above posts. Your bird is adjusting. Furthermore, I'm certainly no expert but your bird is also a baby, and needs some soothing. Whistle, coddle, play some relaxing music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_ADflSf80 (Too lazy to BBcode)

The above link is approved by Tiki :thumbsup:
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby friend2parrots » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:55 pm

sorry to hear about this situation - i also agree with the above posts that your little guy is very very young - 2 months is just a fledglings for a parrotlet.

fledgling-hood is the age at which a bird starts to actively try to fly, through trial and error. they are also naturally very vocal, as they need to maintain contact through their voices with their parents as they learn to fly and cover territory in flight, for fear of getting separated from their parents.

i noticed in the side panel on the left that your parrotlet is clipped. a bird clipped so young may just be in a state of confusion. he;s probably thinking, "what am i supposed to do?" because the instinct to try to fly is there, but he cant because he's clipped. so he's screaming to get you to comfort him, reassure him. but the lack of flight means you can never fully reassure him, until his flight feathers have grown out.

sorry to hear that your landlord is being mean and threatening to force you to rehome your little one. :( you mentioned you have only two weeks left - how many of his feathers are grown out so far? you might want to tell your landlord that this is just a stage that he's going through, that he's a little bird and that once his flights come in, he'll be a lot quieter and calmer.

a molt to get the flight feathers back for such a little bird should not take that long, and the little ones can fly with just a few primaries.

all the best, let us know how it goes!
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations