Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best cage for a Cockatiel

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Best cage for a Cockatiel

Postby EleriDragonfly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm looking into getting a new cage for my Cockatiel, he currently lives in a Hagan Vision cage which is 29"x15"x21". I'm trying to find one that's tall as well as long so I can put more toys in there for him, in this current cage I can only fit around two. His perches and food pot takes up some space as well.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like Captain to have lot's of things to occupy his time while I'm in work.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2
Flight: Yes

Re: Best cage for a Cockatiel

Postby friend2parrots » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 pm

i'm not sure how much space you can allocate for the caging area, but there is a nice cage made by Kings cages called a "small bird/sugar glider cage" - its kind of huge, but might be what you're looking for.

heres the link:

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=SLF 6421 Flight Cage

I have this one for my Bourke parakeet, and he seems to really enjoy it.
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby EleriDragonfly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm

That does look like a good cage, but I don't have the space I'm afraid. If I lived on my own I probably could get it, but I live with my sister, and she won't let me have my birds downstairs xD Which is a shame, I see it has a partition, I might have been able to put my budgies on one side too. Gah wish I had more space! But thanks for showing me the cage :)
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Postby charlieandkiwi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm

His current cage is WAY too small, unless he lives on your shoulder during the day and you're home 24/7.

Get the biggest cage you can afford and check out craigslist while you're at it.
charlieandkiwi
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: I have a 4-5 year old green cheeked conure and an 8 year old white eared conure.

Postby EleriDragonfly » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:06 am

I've been looking at larger cages, but I don't a lot of space for some of them. I have budgies as well and they live in the same type of cage as Captain, could you give me a guideline of the best dimensions that would be best for him? I can limit the cages I look at.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Postby ShaylaFortune » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 am

I go by what I seen on a budgie forum that states that a single budgie should have about 3,800 cubic inches to live comfortably. So with the current cage you have your budgies in, you can fit two budgies, three is pushing it. I personally have my 'tiel in this cage: http://www.wayfair.com/Prevue-Hendryx-F ... P1059.html (the picture doesn't do it justice) and have my six budgies in a simular one. If you are pressed for space, I suggest this cage: http://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-D ... MgodZmQAww It's a bit pricy, but looks like it would be good for your situation. With this cage, you can comfortably fit about five budgies, and it would be roomy enough for a 'tiel or two. :)
ShaylaFortune
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: A Cockatiel and Budgies

Postby Pricey_boy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am

I'd say the biggest one you can afford I think a bird should have a minimum of about 1m by 1m there's a cage that you can buy online it comes in 3 small sections and you can have them all separate or have one big cage and you can buy the other 3 piece add on and have 1 big cage or a few small cages
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby friend2parrots » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 am

Pricey_boy wrote:I'd say the biggest one you can afford

+1
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby naturalbirdslove » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 am

EleriDragonfly wrote:I'm looking into getting a new cage for my Cockatiel, he currently lives in a Hagan Vision cage which is 29"x15"x21". I'm trying to find one that's tall as well as long so I can put more toys in there for him, in this current cage I can only fit around two. His perches and food pot takes up some space as well.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like Captain to have lot's of things to occupy his time while I'm in work.

I have two big cockatiel birds, and I bought zeny bird cage for them. I put more toys in a cage. It has three feeder doors, serving bowls, metal trays. The most important feature is that it made up the iron coop. Your birds are secure in the coop. my coop size is 65 x 65 x 154 cm/ 25.6 x 25.6 x 61”.
naturalbirdslove
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:17 am

Welcome to the forum! But what do you mean by 'iron coop'? Because you can't use iron anything with parrots as they would end up with heavy metal poisoning from it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Housing