Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Prices

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Bird Prices

Postby notscaredtodance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:08 am

From a breeder that I was talking to, Senegals were $450. I could have gotten one for cheaper but I paid $700 for mine from the petstore because I was so attached to her. I originally had a $70 cage for her that was 14x24 but I'm returning it to get a 24x24x31 cage for 150. It was half off from 300.

I also spent 75 just yesterday at Joanne's fabrics, getting little wood trinkets and whatnot. (10 dollars for balsa wood! ridiculous! )
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby RudysMom » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Rudy my Tag was $700.00 from a friend that breeds Tags and Cags, I brought her home at 10 weeks old and handfed her and raised her , she is our cuddle bug :)
Opey my little green quaker was free he was a rehomed quaker, I just had to buy his cage and perches
Niki my blue female quaker was $200.00 from a breeder , she was cheaper because of her age she will be 2 in July
Pepper our newest addition was $400.00 from Petland,I did not plan on buying a Senegal that day but he was so darn cute lol
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Opey ...green quaker Rudy...TAG Cody....CAG
Squiggy.....GCC and Blueberry blue female quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby conuremom » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:35 am

Mai Tai- My Sun Conure was free, with cage and all. The owners husband lost his job and they had 3 birds that they had to place. Two conures and a parakeet. So I picked him up and already love him.
conuremom
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure male

Postby Lisa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am

Hello:

I have to jump in on this one, well in NJ my conure was $500.00 and the Senegal's was $600.00, the grays are I think between $900.00 and $1000.00

this is thee biggest parrot place, so I have been told

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure

Postby MandyG » Thu May 06, 2010 10:41 am

I've been thinking about getting a budgie lately. I went to one of the few local pet shops that sell live animals just to take a look while my car was getting filled with gas (the gas station and pet store are beside eachother in the same strip mall). I asked the owner how much the budgies were and he said "24.95 for one or $39.95 for 2, the more you buy the more you save." and then he walked away. So that's how much budgies cost in my area, at least in that store where I won't be buying one.

Now I know why there are so many people selling 2-3 budgies in the local classifieds... :roll:
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lzver » Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I just saw a baby Senegal in a PetSmart store here in Toronto, ON for $900 today.

There's a story behind this bird. I went there last week and they had just got the little baby Senegal in the day before. I noticed first off that somehow he had scratched the side of his face - just below his eye and he was bleeding - there were fresh drops of blood on his bottom perch. I brought it to their attention and suggested they have someone look at the little guy. They kind of brushed me off and I warned them that if they didn't address it and stop the bleeding that the little baby may die. I also pointed out to them that they had him incorrectly labeled as a Green Cheek Conure for $500 - I thought maybe there was a GCC in there before the Senegal and they hadn't changed the label. But they insisted that he was a GCC. If I had the money I would have bought him on the spot for $500 and gotten him to vet that same day.

I've been thinking about the little guy over the past week and I couldn't help myself so I went back to check on him today. He looks a lot better and you can hardly tell he had scratched him self and they had him properly labeled as a Senegal for $900.

I was talking with one of the girls in the store and once she realized I was the one that was in last week concerned about him she thanked me for bringing it to their attention. He was looked at by a vet the next day and put on antibiotics because the scratch was slightly infected. She tried to get him out of his cage so I could hold him, but he backed himself into the corner of his cage and the poor thing was terrified. She was of course trying to get me to buy him, but I told her honestly that $900 was a lot for a Senegal. I wish I could take him home, but I'm going to just have to be happy with the fact that I alerted the store and got him the help that he needed and I hope that he goes to a loving family.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby notscaredtodance » Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Ugh. I hate pet store employees. That's all they do is try to sell you anything they possibly can and they will straight up lie when they don't know something about an animal. Pet stores mark up animals so much. They probably gt that bird for less than 400. It's a f-king scam.

And they couldn't take 2 minutes to put styptic powder on the bird? Really? I am raging right now. Birds can bleed out SO easily and I'm sure they don't even know that, let alone how simple it is to treat a scratch like that. When you put salespeople who are more focused on making money than life, in charge of animals, is like putting a 2 year old in charge of an animal.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Postby lzver » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 pm

I hear you notscaredtodance. I was so upset when I left the store last week. They wouldn't let me do anything or even listen to me last week. At least I feel better that he got some care and he's doing better. I'd hate to think of his fate if I didn't go into the store that day.

Needless to say I came home and gave Lucy and Jessie some extra scratches and kisses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Alexander » Fri May 07, 2010 3:47 pm

I have been looking for a young Senegal parrot to buy from a breeder and the average price here in Germany is around 250€. I have also found a few breeders who give their young Senegals for 150 to 200€, but there aren't many. I haven't looked at pet shops, but I guess the price would be nearly double...

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Sun May 09, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby greymatter » Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Merlin :gray: was $1200 from the breeder (it was the 19th breeder I had called, and the only CAG available...AND I was planning a trip to Ottawa the next week anyhow, so a 500km drive was worth it!) They were sold before they were even born back in 1998/99 in the GTA.

Stryder was free, because he was bred from my last clutch back when I had time to breed (i.e. could bring babies to work with me to hand feed!).

Rosco :caique: was $800 - the breeder was a friend & gave $100 off.

Mesi was $10 - from a so-so breeder. She's a good natured little girl.

I used to work at a large pet store, and if someone asked about the store credit card, I tended to direct them to the less expensive options. I paid for all our birds in cash - I don't believe in putting pets on credit. I was more concerned about matching the right person with the right parrot/little parrot, in order to feel better about letting the babies leave the store (hey, I'd be hand feeding some for 1-3 months before they were able to go home). And I was always thankful for our bird purchaser, who let us drive any ailing birds to our avian vet at the first sign of trouble. Now the chain has been bought out by another big company, and I feel bad when I go in and see dirty cages and unkempt birds :(.

So not all employees don't care - I hired people who cared, and would say "no" if the person didn't mesh with the bird, or have the right attitude (i.e. I want a bird who talks - what if it doesn't talk? - I'll give it back - sorry, we're not able to help you!). It was the bird's life, and our conscience at the end of the day.

I've been working in a non-animal industry for the past 7 years since then, and miss it every day, despite some not-so-nice days and attitudes of people out there.
"You be good...I love you...see you tomorrow" - Alex the Grey
greymatter
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot, Caique, Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic