Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vitamin A veggies and fruits for Parrots (a list)

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Vitamin A veggies and fruits for Parrots (a list)

Postby Grey_Moon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Generally speaking if we would have to cook it to eat it the same rule applies for parrots.
I always cook squash.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby pionus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 am

thanks grey moon, that makes sense. It looks like I will be able to share a lot of what I eat with my bird when I get it, because I'm on the Paleo diet. quite helpful!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
-Douglas Adams
pionus
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby TeddyBare » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:51 am

Grey_Moon wrote:If the guardian cannot or won't put the effort in to formulating and balancing the diet, as well as ensuring access to unfiltered sunlight as well as including the necessary green wholefood supplements then high-quality pellets should be offered as more of a multivitamin.

Can you recommend any articles or books about pellet-free diets for parrots? How do you know how much of which vitamins etc to feed? How much does it depend between breeds? What types of supplements are required? are they necessary to make up for a shortfall in the diet?
TeddyBare
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: None yet

Postby cml » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 am

TeddyBare wrote:
Grey_Moon wrote:If the guardian cannot or won't put the effort in to formulating and balancing the diet, as well as ensuring access to unfiltered sunlight as well as including the necessary green wholefood supplements then high-quality pellets should be offered as more of a multivitamin.

Can you recommend any articles or books about pellet-free diets for parrots? How do you know how much of which vitamins etc to feed? How much does it depend between breeds? What types of supplements are required? are they necessary to make up for a shortfall in the diet?

Its extremely complex, and thats why a base diet of pellets is generally reccommended for most parrots owners, with veggies provided once a day or so :)! That way you ensure they get everything they need, but still offer them fun and healthy food like veggies :).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby pionus » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:23 pm

quote cml
"Its extremely complex, and thats why a base diet of pellets is generally reccommended for most parrots owners, with veggies provided once a day or so :)! That way you ensure they get everything they need, but still offer them fun and healthy food like veggies :).
can you recommend a good pellet brand?"

can you recommend a good pellet brand?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
-Douglas Adams
pionus
Poicephalus

Postby cml » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:13 pm

pionus wrote:quote cml
"Its extremely complex, and thats why a base diet of pellets is generally reccommended for most parrots owners, with veggies provided once a day or so :)! That way you ensure they get everything they need, but still offer them fun and healthy food like veggies :).
can you recommend a good pellet brand?"

can you recommend a good pellet brand?

Grey_Moon has compiled a list actually, which I can reccommend you to read =)!

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8419

I used to use Nutribird, but have switched to Tropican :) . We also feed veggies in the evenings about 4 times a week.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby pionus » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:47 pm

thanks cml. i had actually read that post but had forgotten :o lol. the Totally Organics Pellets looks pretty good.

thanks! :D
-Douglas Adams
pionus
Poicephalus

Postby spiral71 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 am

TeddyBare wrote:

as cml said it is extreamly complex, my father gave me a book called the parrrot companion from bugies to Mc Caws which has dietry tables in it with the nutritional values of diffrent seeds its written by rosemary low, i like it alot it has a information about the pros and cons of different spiecies of parrots, some people said they find the tone of the book abit negative but i didn't i just got the impression that the author was trying to make people aware of the comittment involved in owning a bird,

aditionally Rosemary low recently wrote a new book on parrot nutrition called [Nutriton in parrots and finches[/color], i have not read this book yet but would like to at some point. It deals with all diffrent spicies of birds and captive avian nutrtion from what i read in the reviw on 24 parrot com.

The problem i have found is that my parrot is always pinking out her favourate seeds and eating choosing only the things she likesd i now feed her mostly harrisons pellets plus frozen vetables and bean sprouts with sweet potatoes carrots and broocolli. and tiny picies of almonds as a treat.
My vet said to give her chicken bones that had been boiled so that she could eat the bone marrow inside, so i do that every now and again.

i have found my indian ringneck loves sprouted chick peas, fresh coconut and dried o fresh chilli, grapes banannanas and mango, raw charrot i also give her frozen corn and peas and broad beans, which she loves.

Everyone agrees that they need variety when i got her my parrot rehomed and she had been fed a diet high in sunflower seeds for about a mounth and a half this made her overwight so i switched her onto zupreem pellets and some seed but the vet said she was stil too fat also i found that the sugar in the zupream pellets made her moody, i breifly tried her on hagen troppican mix which has some pellets in but shes started throwing her food rather than eating much of it as she likes to nest in her food bowl.

Harrisons helps in this sense because it is fed moist and is therefore more difficult to through and i like it because she is so much calmer when fed this compared to zupreem. Even though its expensive its a good feed i cant coment on tops pellets because i have not tried them yet .

i have also sprouted seeds for her in the past but i have found this tricky to do correctly as they must always be rinced with apple sider vinger or citracidal to prevent the growth of bateria and mold. Please see the other threads on sprouting on this forum.

goodluck
spiral71
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: female indian ringneck 5 to 6 years old

Postby GreenWing » Sun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Bumping
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am

I appreciate the bumping but it seems to me that most of the stuff recommended here has been debunked or 'rethought'. I mean, the 'parrot nutrition is very complex and that's why we should feed pellets' is actually not correct at all any longer...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet