Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Your Flight Safety Arrangements

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Your Flight Safety Arrangements

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Share with us the flight safety precautions (such as doors, screens, locks, etc) that you implement to keep your flighted or clipped parrot safe indoors and how it is working out for you. If you've ever experienced a failure of your systems let us know as well.

For my advice on parrot flight safety, read this.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Your Flight Safety Arrangements

Postby marie83 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Theres 4 doors which are kept closed between the birds and the outside world, the birds never go beyond the second on shoulders etc.
We are still trying to figure the best way to fit a permenant screen around all windows as we are in a rented flat and cant go drilling holes to fit anything properly. Before we let the birds out we go round checking all the windows are shut including in the adjoining rooms in case we forget they are on our shoulders. This is routine but I wan't the screens as us humans make mistakes, I've never made that kind of mistake but can easily see it happening.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 pm

we have 3 entries to our house 2 with enclosed porches and 1 without. the 1 door without is blocked off and only used when moving furniture in and out while the birds are blocked from the room. the rule with the other 2 is 1 door is closed before the other is open. my nieces, nephews and my son's friends all check the door before they close it to make sure my :gcc: is no where near. we have 1 ceiling fan in our bedroom it's only on when the birds are put in cages for the night and turned off before cages open in the morning. we have screens on all the windows they are only opened a crack so if the birds wanted to get to the screen they can't. it only failed once when penny :gcc: first started flying my boyfriend went to get a pizza from the delivery man with penny on his shoulder. he flew off his shoulder and out the door with the delivery man. it was in the single digits so i ran right out barefoot and whistled to him. he flew right back to me and has avoided the front door ever since.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Andromeda » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm

I have a 2-story townhouse with two doors leading outside downstairs, one in the front and one in the back. When those doors are open the birds are either in their cages or upstairs in the den with the door shut.

I did have a near miss once when I went to get pizza. The birds were up in the den and I closed the door to the den but didn't latch it. When I say it was "closed" I mean there was maybe a 1 cm gap in the door---not big enough for a bird. I was downstairs with the front door open paying the delivery man when my green cheek conure came flying down the stairs, straight toward the front door! Fortunately it was after sunset and it was dark outside and as soon as he saw it was dark he did a 180 mid-air and flew back upstairs again. This is how I learned that if the door is not latched a little conure is physically capable of very quickly prying it open enough to escape. Now I always latch the door.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby Strawfrawg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 am

Unfortunately my rental house is not set up well at all for indoor free-flight because the doors are in major rooms and open directly to the outside (no screens). Marvin's cage is in the living room during the day with the door open, and if somebody comes to the door I put him away before answering. When my housemate comes home, she knocks and waits for me to secure him and open the door. If I'm the one who's been out, he is caged the whole time I'm gone from the house. For now, that's just how it has to be. No way am I risking an escape!
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Nesslars » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 pm

I live in a rental with two other housemates and my partner. It's a less than ideal situation, but I just moved interstate and I couldn't leave my cockatiel behind. Right now my tiel is in the bedroom with me, again less than ideal but the main leaseholder didn't really seem keen on her being out with people because of the mess etc. so I make do with mainly keeping her in the bedroom, but if no one is home, I do a check of all windows, doors and kitchen and let her come out in the main part of the house.

I did that this morning, the housemates were home but only just getting up. I thought it might be nice for them to get some interaction with my bird so they can get used to her a bit. My housemate walked to the back door to open it (there is a secondary screen), when my tiel flew to his shoulder. He was a bit freaked out but I calmed him down and went to get her off his shoulder. At that point, he goes to open the door and walk outside, with my (somewhat flighty, not well enough trained) bird on his shoulder!!! I managed to stop him and birdie went straight back into my room, but geez I was shaking... It just reinforces the need for not just safety in the house, but educating other inhabitants, or taking measures against stupidity.

Needless to say, never again will the bird come out of the bedroom until I can harness train her.

Le sigh, I wish I could live by myself :(
Nesslars
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Whiteface platinum cockatiel

Postby thewandererw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:00 pm

I have a sign on my front door stating birds are free flighted please be careful when opening the door.plus all windows are closed with screens and in warm weather screens are in place.plus screen door is lock.plus two decals of two cockatiels above a sign that says beware of attack .cockatiel.
thewandererw
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 pm

:lol: And tiels sooooo mild mannered at that!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Hookturn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:15 pm

It sounds like pizza is the main hazard. From now on its Chinese delivery only for me. Lol.
Hookturn
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure "TJ"

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm

I guess I'm going to try curtains to separate the living room/diningroom from the rest of the first floor. I'm hoping this keeps her out of the kitchen while I am cooking and away from the doors that open directly to the outside.

Ceiling fan use will have to be limited to nighttime only. I still haven't figured out what to do about the tortoise and her heat lamp.

She is just starting to realize that she can fly a bit. She will fly down to the floor and walk to where she wants to go, rather than climb down. The good thing is that she no longer hits the ground like a ton of bricks. She has just 2 flight feathers back on each wing. Her tail feathers are also pretty beat up and shortened because of her antics on her cage.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight