Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kisses!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Kisses!

Postby healthyaddict » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Ok, maybe this isn't a huge trick, but it's the first one he's picked up and does all the time now. With or without the clicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0Mctxg4Js

Been trying to get him to wave for a couple of weeks, but he's having a really hard time with it. Also working on getting him to let me hold his wings/touch underneath (for the eventual harness). That one he gets kinda angry about though.
healthyaddict
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Kisses!

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:52 am

be careful with your saliva and kisses because it can be toxic to your bird. We have enzymes and bacteria in our mouths that aren't good for them. Kisses are fine though and so cute!

Try to encourage on the cheek or with your lips firmly closed. Waving is something you can teach from step up so very gently poke one foot and say wave and then move your finger away slowly when he steps on it. This is how we taught our cockatiel to wave. Now we say say foot up or wave and point to the foot and he lifts it and holds it.
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Postby marie83 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:58 am

Aw so cute :)

I second the previous post, just be careful about saliva. I've started kissing the top of Harlies head to get her used to being touched there as she gets more used to my fingers. Its much more of a light touch with my lips clamped together than a kiss though.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby DanaandPod » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:04 pm

healthyaddict wrote:Ok, maybe this isn't a huge trick, but it's the first one he's picked up and does all the time now. With or without the clicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0Mctxg4Js

Been trying to get him to wave for a couple of weeks, but he's having a really hard time with it. Also working on getting him to let me hold his wings/touch underneath (for the eventual harness). That one he gets kinda angry about though.

I do this with Pod! :) I wish I could get him to make the kiss sound though so it was more legit! :D
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Tommy makes kissy sound to call me over to the cage. He even gives kisses through the bars.
Rambo is stingy with his kisses and I love you. He saves them for when he really wants something. Myrtle loves kisses and even though I can't touch the top of her head she will let me kiss it. Myrtle says I love you as an apology. When she knows she has been bad she will wait for me to cool down then come back and whisper it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Trick Training