Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with indoor flying

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Help with indoor flying

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 am

Hi

I am a new owner of a parrotlet. He was parent raised but we are bonding so well, he has learnt step up and is comfortable with me even after only a week.

He was unclipped when I got him and I would like to keep it that way, however, today I let him sit on a perch on top of his cage, he then decided to fly and immediately flew into the curtains, into the wall and then landed on my piano where I was lucky that he stepped up and I put him back in his cage.

I was wondering if there are any articles, maybe a step by step process of starting to get them used to flying around the room.
How do you stop them flying into things, is it something they learn themselves.
I am worried he may harm himself. How do you start?

Thanks
Darren
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: Help with indoor flying

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 am

They learn themselves. You can teach flight recall to your hand using my parrot training perch method.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Tro » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 pm

When I got my parrot he was clipped, and after his flight feathers grew back he was a terrible clumsy flyer. He is a great flyer now and really enjoys it. So i would also say they learn on their own! I know it's sad to see them crashing around, but he'll get the hang of flying around your home!
Tro
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeck conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes, they do learn themselves but you can help them figure it out sooner by putting decals on the windows (and you can remove them after he learns)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Indoor Freeflight