Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do I start training my Alexander Parakeet?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

How do I start training my Alexander Parakeet?

Postby HoangLink » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have got a 15-month-old Alexander Parakeet and I am wondering how/where do I start training my parrot?

Should I teach him to talk before to do tricks? Or else?

At the moment, I teach him to do tricks at the early morning (with treats), when he is full enough, I teach him to talk.

Am I doing that good?

Thanks!
HoangLink
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexander Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: How do I start training my Alexander Parakeet?

Postby Shelby » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 am

Do you use a clicker for training? And what kind of tricks are you working on right now? Is your parrot hand-tame?

I don't really know that much about teaching talking, and most of my friends don't really emphasize teaching their birds to talk - the parrots just kind of pick things up on their own.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet

Postby Cockatielsongs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 am

Is your parrot tame? If not start with taming Michael has tons of stuff here on taming birds to its full potential and it really helps!

Tricks shouldnt be the first thing and definitely not talking.

Start with target training. www.myparrothelp.weebly.com tells you how to go about target training and I used that method for my cockatiel and it was very effective.

Take things slowly, dont rush the new bird and be patient.
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo

Postby Shelby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 am

I highly recommend clicker trainig and going through Michael's taming and target training guide: www.trainedparrot.com/taming

Before tricks, you need to establish a way to communicate what you want him to do. Clicker training and target training become a language you both understand. Also, trick training will go MUCH faster if you use a clicker, beause then the bird knows EXACTLY when it did what you wanted. Many tricks also require target training to be very reliable (like spin or go through a tube).
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet

Return to Parrot Trick Training