Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Encouraging Stevie to fly

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Encouraging Stevie to fly

Postby CaitlinRice413 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:10 pm

:greycockatiel:
Last edited by CaitlinRice413 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaitlinRice413
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Encouraging Stevie to fly

Postby marie83 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:20 am

Hey long time no see :)

With what you are doing I can see a few possibilities of what might happen. One being that the laser ends up being ineffective because stevie gets used to it, another being that whilst he may not be phobic now, things can easily turn around. It may continue to work but I think the likeliest thing is he will just desensitize to it.
Now I don't know much about what else you have tried, how long you have tried them for etc but I think it is really important to find a more positive way of encouraging flight, whether the be through food management, bigger or better rewards or just giving him much more time to get used to his new flying status so he actually starts realising its fun and feels good to fly. Right now he has probably been a bit of a perch potato until recently and flying feels like so much effort even though he is capable of it.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby CaitlinRice413 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:28 pm

:macaw:
Last edited by CaitlinRice413 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaitlinRice413
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pricey_boy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:38 am

get him standing on a flat surface instead of the perch like the top of his cage or something it encourages flying. you can leave toys up there so your bird plays with them and will give herself a fright.try paying no attention to your bird while in the same room it often helps. when you find what works do it for a few weeks your bird will love flying and figure out how great it is.it worked with bandit he just jumps in the air and does loops of my bedroom like 5 at once. ill upload a video tomoroow of him flying and put the link in this. topic because its funny how hyperactive he gets.

good luck :thumbsup:
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby CaitlinRice413 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm