Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do you persuade or dissuade others to get parrots?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Are you more likely to:

Persuade
8%
Dissuade
33%
Indifferent
58%

Total votes : 12

Do you persuade or dissuade others to get parrots?

Postby Michael » Sat May 08, 2010 3:42 am

Do you find yourself more likely trying to persuade or dissuade people from acquiring parrots? Has parrot ownership and time affected what you recommend to others?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Do you persuade or dissuade others to get parrots?

Postby HyperD » Sat May 08, 2010 4:15 am

I wouldn't do either. I would tell them the good things about having a parrot and the bad things and then hope they would make the right decision. Each person's situation is different so I don't think you should persuade or dissuade them (unless obviously there is something that would endanger the parrot so it would be best they did not own one).
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby budgiebuddy » Sat May 08, 2010 6:26 am

i would probably recomend it but first i would give the ups and downs but yeah i would recomend them to all my friends cause parrots are fun loving pets :senegal: :amazon: :caique: :cockatoo: :macaw: :gray: :eclectus: :quaker: :budgie: :galah: :lovebird: :swaying: :cockatiel:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby Titanius » Sat May 08, 2010 1:50 pm

It totally depends on the person.... If it's 8 year old cousin "Bill"for example I'd probably strongly dissuade him from getting a parrot. Since I know how he is and how much time he'd be willing to put in with a pet. If it's a stranger I'd be more willing to be open about the ups and downs of having a parrot. And once they've come to understand they can make their own decision from that.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby MandyG » Sat May 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Some people have shown a lot of interest in wanting a parrot after meeting Mojo a couple of times and most of those people I've just explained the ups and downs and most importantly the responsibilities of owning a parrot. I haven't gone into too much detail yet though because they always get turned off of the idea after I mention the cost and the mess! There has been a couple of people that I've discouraged. Mostly because I know how they are and know what their lifestyle is like and it wouldn't be a suitable situation for a parrot.

I think every person and situation is different, but for me I'll always discourage (if I know them and how they live) or try to educate them to make sure they're making the right decision. If somebody has really thought about it and they decided a parrot was right for them (and if I agreed) I would have no problem helping them with whatever they needed.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby budgiebuddy » Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 pm

i would probably recomend one to my friends that i know would be able to handle i wouldn't recomend one to someone that is always out of there house spends there money on everyhing has no patients can't even rmember to do homework stuff like that
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Michael » Sun May 09, 2010 8:39 am

I definitely find myself dissuading people from getting parrots more now. Yes it is true that some things have changed which led to this. One reason is because more and more people are seeing my parrot whether on youtube or outside. This draws more interest but I don't want people to see what Kili is capable of and get a parrot expecting it to be preloaded with the Kili operating system. And on the other hand, the longer I've had a parrot, the more I realized how involved it is. It may be that I've made it more difficult than it has to be but this has shaped my belief of how a parrot should be kept. Now that I pretty firmly believe that parrots should be flighted, it is difficult for me to actually recommend to almost anyone to have a freeflighted parrot. Not only does it require a specialized environment, it definitely requires a lot more patience and knowledge. Also having read many horror stories, rehoming stories, etc, the more cynical I feel about people owning parrots at all. While some people will disagree with my methods, I think most would still agree that Kili is well cared for. Luckily the same can be said for most parrots of folks on this forum. However, this is a very small sample. It is not that uncommon to come across some owner proud of what a huge macaw he has crammed into such a small cage that is rarely let out.

Many people I come across I feel are unsuitable for bird ownership and honestly I don't think they would enjoy it much either. I won't recommend to people with cats, dogs, or small children to get a parrot. I won't recommend to people who wanted a cat/dog but think a parrot is more convenient. I won't recommend parrots to young kids unless the parent is willing to take full responsibility for the bird. So that knocks out about 70% of the population off the bat. Even if I come across someone that is a candidate for ownership, I'd probably tell all the trouble and expense. If they still desire a parrot with full knowledge of the trouble, only then would I recommend they get one. I don't mean to be so elitist about it but they really are difficult, annoying, little brats and for the parrot's sake it is better not to end up in the wrong hands. So while I run a parrot forum and make training videos, I'd say I find myself sooner being an advocate for the parrots rather than the owners.

When I visit my parrot store and people ask me for advice I usually just don't say anything because I don't want to hurt business for the store since they are rather nice to me. It is in my interest that the store be around so I can purchase supplies and play with their babies. :mrgreen: But if I were to be honest and tell the people what I think, quite often it would be "what the heck are you thinking!!!!" :lol: It's not that I don't want people to have parrots but rather that I don't want parrots to be stuck with the wrong people.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby budgiebuddy » Sun May 09, 2010 8:55 am

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING i think that people would get a parot get upset at it and either take it back to where they got it or just dump it out side both of those create stress for the bird and then if somebody gets that bird later on in life it will be harder to train
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun May 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Personally I agree with HyperD. I'd be honest about it, and I'd encourage the person to fully understand what it means. Just as I would with someone who wants a horse. Or a cat, or a dog. ANY pet should be seen as a significant commitment and any prospective owner would be well advised to learn what they are getting into. Even after a lot of reading up and observing I find that Scooter is both more work and more reward than I had expected.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Sun May 09, 2010 2:50 pm

It depends on the person but for the most part I agree with Michael.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Next

Return to General & Off Topic