Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Air purifier

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Air purifier

Postby GreenWing » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:04 pm

I do know that in my Grey's former home her dust was an issue due to the owner's asthma or allergies. I don't think they had an air purifier; and as far as I know, they didn't have her for long (about a month).

I was never bothered by my Senegal's dander, and I've never been bothered by dog danger, either, but I do have dust mite allergies. That said, I've heard that it can be a good thing to get an air purifier when you have a parrot that produces more dust (e.g., Greys and 'Toos).

This is something I'm going to discuss with the avian vet who will surely make recommendations, but I'm curious of others' opinions for now.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Air purifier

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Birds' respiratory system is much more efficient than ours (or any other animal, for that matter) but, because of this, it's also more delicate. This, added to the fact that they don't utilize it as it was intended to (they simply do not fly -aerobic exercise- enough), makes an air purifier, in my personal opinion, a must when one has birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm

I have an Austin Air and I would never do without an air purifier. It really helps humans and animals alike.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby GreenWing » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank you to you both. What kind of air purifier do you recommend? I am sure the avian vet will help me on this as I'm taking Chance in for her checkup, but I wanted some tips in the meanwhile, so I am all ears (eyes?) :D
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:20 pm

I don't buy the most expensive ones (with UV lights, bacterial filters or whatever) because the only purpose of the purifier is to 'catch' particles so any meant for a larger room than what you need which also has a couple of good filtration methods is adequate (mine have these 'accordion' cartridges as well as a flat spongy thing). I also have four because I use two at a time (I have toos, grays and tiels housed with non-dust birds) so I always have two clean and ready for when I do the weekly thorough cleaning.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Once again thanks Pajarita for your awesomeness... do you have a particular brand to recommend? Chance is definitely preening and as much as I am a neat freak, an air purifier ASAP would be epic. :D
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:19 pm

I have Honeywell towers, they have three speeds, HEPA filters and ionizer thingies.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Pajarita wrote:I have Honeywell towers, they have three speeds, HEPA filters and ionizer thingies.

You are the goddess of parrots. Thank you.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby cml » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:39 am

Just be careful about purifiers with ionizers, and make sure its optional if it has one (most do). Some ionizers can cause ozone build up, google on it if you want. It MAY be harmful to both humans, critters and birds.

I am in the market for a purifier as well, came across this during my reseach. Honeywell seems to have ionizers on all their models (or close to all) but it's optional on a few of those models. Be sure to read up! On the smallest tower it isnt optional to give an example.

I am also looking into bionaire, which has a couple of models with permanent filters and optional ionizers. Personally, I am a long way from making a decision though...
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 am

All of them give you the option to have the ionizer on or off (it's a separate button) but you are confusing plain ionizers with ozone producers which are also called air purifiers. The plain ionizers are fine, it's the ozone producers that are dangerous.

This is the kind I have: http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/pro ... rifier.htm

This is from an independent source: http://www.achooallergy.com/honeywell-faq.asp and it states explicitly that these air purifiers do not produce ozone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to General Parrot Care