Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey Vocal Limits?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

African Grey Vocal Limits?

Postby GreenWing » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:00 am

Okay so I've had Chance for almost two days now, and she is constantly surprising me with her talking ability. One example from today, I went into the bedroom and after a few moments she said, "Where did she go?" Clearly spoken. With a reference to me as SHE. It is almost scary! So far she has said a ton of words and questions, and while I have been told her vocab is "large"... how large can a Grey's ability get? I think Alex could say a hundred words?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: African Grey Vocal Limits?

Postby Weka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Good question! I'd be interested in knowing, as well. I've read that the upper recorded limit for Greys speaking human vocab is around 900+ words, but then the world record is still held (I think) by Puck the budgie at 1,728.

I'm a big fan of Disco the budgie; it's fascinating how he re-arranges his human's pop culture phrases into unique calls of his own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcWA_RNl1s

Can't wait to hear what you and your bird learn from one another,

Weka
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Oh wow, Weka, I had no idea a budgie had the world record! I knew male budgies could be excellent talkers but Greys have that "reputation" for being "great' talkers and all. 900+ words, though!? That's insane! Chance is talking right right now as I type, it's really amusing :D
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Dbeguy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:38 am

If there's one thing that I've always heard about parrots and >>> :gray: in particular is their capacity to take you completely by surprise with what they've picked up!

Are you specifically trying to get Chance to say anything in particular, GreenWing?
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby GreenWing » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Dbeguy wrote:If there's one thing that I've always heard about parrots and >>> :gray: in particular is their capacity to take you completely by surprise with what they've picked up!

Are you specifically trying to get Chance to say anything in particular, GreenWing?

She constantly tells me to "Be nice", "Can I get a kiss?" "I love you", "step up" and says a TON of other words, it amazes me. She says stuff that I say without even trying to teach her. Last night, for example, as she perched next to my spouse, she said his "pet name" that I call him -- needless to say, it shocked me!

Here is a recent example of me trying to teach/change her vocabulary:

Chance: "Slut!"

Me: "No. It's NUT."

Chance: "Nut."

Me: "Good bird! That's right!"

Chance: "Go to hell."

:o :shock: :?

Chance is on Google+, if interested, PM me and I'll give you the link to her page where actual statements are made by her!
GreenWing
African Grey

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations